bigpaulo

Ford headlights vs aftermarket

Ive read all the posts about the aftermarket XF lights not being as good as the originals, especially to do with the refelectors and the light beam. But I was wondering if they are a slightly different size to the originals? or if i'm just imagining things...

The panel shop put aftermarket headlights in my ute, and I reckon there is too much gap between the lights and the bonnet, but if i lifted them thered be too much gap above the bumper. These pics should give an idea what i mean.

20140115_145911_zpsv8jzmbvs.jpg

20140117_173700_zpsix2jisfn.jpg

20140117_174137_zpsu6p4xvtr.jpg

Anyone else had this issue? Also, will ford glass fit over aftermarket housing? because if the glass is all it takes to make them fit better, i reckon i might be able to hunt some up.

Cheers!

It's in the aftermarket Glass - the reflector prisms in the glass itself, are crap compared to originals.

What people sometimes do, is buy the taiwanese headlights just to get the reflectors,

and retrofit them into the original Ford housing/glass assemblies.

i'd say the dimensions of the light assy over all would be the same. the brackets on them can be a little out but they are fairly adjustable. getting the gaps right should be possible. changing the glass lense wont affect its fitment i dont think.

adjusting the beam is the aftermarket weakness though and even if you get it right it wont be as good as the originals by far.

I think the gap between headlights and bonnet is all in the angle you look at it.

As far as I know, the headlights in my wagon have been out when I pulled them out to replace the reflectors, and I drew around the washers and marked where the speed clip was to get them back in the same spot. Here's some pics of where they are.

agy6esah.jpg

qunysuqy.jpg

azy3utem.jpg

In regards to the glass, the Ford glass is miles ahead of any aftermarket one. The only lenses I've found that compare (and are just as good) are Lucas ones, which were made as OEM type parts and sold by Ford spare part dealers.

maybe move them out a bit and see if it fills the gap more, it looks like they're recessed a bit too much

Yeah id tend to agree here, looking at the passenger side head light it appears not to sit with the grill properly?

Perhaps the bonnet is out of whack and not sitting correctly either?

If it was mine, id find genuine XF Head lights (gonna be hard but do-able and expensive) and if the reflectors are crap

id swap the guts over from the after market into the original ford units and presto.

You mite remember, that what i did with mine, still haven't fitted them yet but they do look the goods.

Me and me mate were comparing them the other day and came to the conclusion that the aftermarket ones don't use silver to coat the reflective surfaced in the headlight like that used to.

If you look closely at an aftermarket headlight and a genuine Ford one, the aftermarket reflector is poor quality. More silver that highly reflective finish.

There is also a difference in the glass as stated above and the 'focus' of the beam is not as good as a result.

Oh, by the way  mate... ya ute looks flash after the paint job..... lovely.

Jack.

I got a set of Lucas ones off a member here and the glass has the ford part number on them so they're just as good i think. Get a set of good reflectors, Philips X-Treme vision globes and you'll never turn back. I just recently did a trip from Sydney to Coffs harbour via Tamworth which involved a bit of night driving and never felt like I lacked lighting even at 100km/h on a country road

You might be right polson, might just be the angle you look at them.

Ill still try and hunt up some originals, like you all say they shine better, and they have Ford written on the glass. Cant go wrong!

Adrianphu123 makes a good point about the globes as well.

I also have the Phillips +100 globes, definitely better light, and whiter too, not yellow like most older cars end up with.

i'd still stick with the stock 60/55 globes, on high beam they see so far up the road you could double the speed limit.

and the 60/55 wont melt the chrome off the reflector as fast