dizzy616

msd info

Mcfly94 used the StreetFire in his old XF, i would go with the street fire for a stock engine. If you want to chase power and torque go with the 6AL2.

The 6AL2 is better in alot of ways but for cost wise i'll go with the StreetFire.

Thats my opinion, others may very.

cant comment alot cause i am yet to install one but i recently have weighted up all the options and decided on the programmable 6al2 personally

ultimate control and very easy to program, easily upgradeable vacuum/boost controls etc

price wise i basically said to myself, if i am considering one because its cheap then i can save for another week or 2 and buy the best option from the beginning

yeh thats what i was sort of thinking bigcav. its a bit of a cost. id like to save but. think 6al2 sounds like better option. still dont know if i want to boost it yet. or play with timing curves. since on straight lpg. i can see that coming in handy. if thats possible.

It's not much more of a stretch to go for the best like BigCav said, and the programmable bit is pretty awesome. The term "boost retard" is a bit of a misnomer for that function because it really is just a fancy programmable vac advance. They call it boost retard because it works in a scale of absolute pressure (not vacuum), and can be used with 1-bar map sensors (atmo engines) or 2-and 3-bar (turbo/blown setups). Once you get your head around it, you'll never look back.

6al2 programmable - best piece of kit around.  locked timing belongs in the 80's with bad music and fluro shirts. 

Once you have a 6al2 programmable you will never look back.  I have been known to go on about them as much as I go on about standard volume oil pumps so best I just pull it up there. 

Oh ok - one bit more - save up and get the big hvc2 coil as well - they are awesome and give a big hit of spark.  Summit of jegs unless you want to get raped on price - but there may be a closing of that gap if you can get a deal. 

Go the 6AL-2 Programmable

The distributors are curved to suit petrol on factory. LPG works best with more initial advance than petrol, but total advance needs to be less than petrol for best results. Can't do that by turning a factory distributor, you will bring up both initial and total advance.

Plus the programmable features gives you flexibility for future mods, simply plot a new curve to suit. You can even hook a laptop up to it, tune it in between doing some road testing (in a safe quiet area of course)

Got mine up and running this past weekend, still just running locked timing. Car is more torquey now, and have not heard it misfire while driving, used to misfire fairly often before. I'm sure it will get better once I throw a timing curve in.

NO, the msd billet dizzys require a CDI box but the cdi box can be used on a factory dizzy

if your budget is big enough and your talking a v8 the larger capped msd dizzys are better at avoiding the spark jumping from post to post inside the dizzy cap compared to the factory units when running a programable cdi box

do you have to run a different dizzy with the 6AL-2 programmable?

You can use any dizzy with an MSD (and crank trigger) as long as there is a way of locking the timing. You need to lock your vac advance plate and the mechanical advance to max timing and the unit retards it back to where you program it. Biggest hassle is rotor phasing but we'll get to that once you decide what you're going for.

EST will work fine, that's what I am using.

If the E series dizzy does not have mechanical weights in it, then it  should be fine to use. Any locked dizzy will work with the 6AL-2, you need a locked dizzy so you can program a timing retard curve properly.