Sign in to follow this  
BigCav

quick e series diff conversion questions

just a quick one, read that much info lately its all becoming a blur

initially i thought id use an ed diff for the ease of the handbrake system to fit into my zk, they are also semi hard to find in lsd and have decided im going to fit an aussie LOKKA

so are all eb2 ed open diffs still a 28 spline 4 pin ?

then i also noticed the brakes are bigger on the ef el diffs and easier to find and was considering changing the model

what is involved in using the ef el hand brake system?

glenn has sourced me a steel LWB tail shaft from an xg already so thanks again mate

do both ed and ef have the different selectable upper trailing arm mounts? which one do you use on a superlow car?

oh and then im guessing handbrake cables will be different between a lwb and swb too, all the info on the net relates to falcons

am i safe in thinking a nf or nl fairlane is a good place to find a 28 spline 4 pinion open centre with longer hand brake cable to suit LWB in 3.23 ratio?

I didn't think they were 3.23 but I might be wrong. I was under the impression that utes were 3.27, wagons 3.23, sedans 2.92. For cables you might need custom ones made as EF went to a hand brake lever instead of the old under-dash umbrella type, with different attachment points, lengths, etc.

the 3.23 range of ratios is pretty easy to get in fairlanes, i guess due to the extra weight they came with the lower gear, surfing ebay etc now and most are 3.23 from nc nf nl etc

hoping someone can CONFIRM the handbrake issue, some people say no, some say yes but cant find a definate answer

found a thread on AFF about how to make the ef work in an ed body, looks to hard/complicated and hangs low off the body (speed humps) so back to the ed nc idea lol

Hoping someone can CONFIRM the handbrake issue, some people say no, some say yes but cant find a definate answer

I been waiting for that answer to cav.

EF/EL run a single hand brake cable and when i fitted the EF Station wagon diff in project goldie you may remember 

i also used the lever type hand brake to tho of cause i wanted that feature.

So those who use the EF/EL DIFF in their falcons or Fairlanes and still use the 'umbrella type' lever i yet to see pics

or read info on what they did to make it work.

Do the ED/NC use a single solid brake rotor like whats used on EF/EL?

or are they ventilated? 

When I get home I'll take some pictures of the handbrake setup on my mum's hot rod it uses ef rear brakes and a customline handbrake (works identical to a x series handbrake) just to give you some ideas

Eb on have solid rear rotors, from eb on all e series had 28 spline 4 pinion centers, 3.27 usually appeared in manual futuras and 6 cylinder Fairlanes (and usually lsd), 3.23 is the standard wagon/Fairmont/ute/V8 fairlane/v8 fitment ghia (and most 3.23 were open center) 3.45 AFAIK were all lsd and appeared in xr6 6 cylinder Fairmont ghia and one tonne manual xg and xh utes/3.08 was the standard 6 cylinder sedan ratio most were open center

Cav, when I fitted a EB diff into my ZL, I used a hand brake cable out of a NA and it fitted without mods, was just two piece instead of one.

If your interested I've got a EBII sedan diff sitting in the back yard that I need to get rid of, complete disc to disc, with control arms and swb tail shaft in 3:23 LSD.

I been waiting for that answer to cav.

EF/EL run a single hand brake cable and when i fitted the EF Station wagon diff in project goldie you may remember 

i also used the lever type hand brake to tho of cause i wanted that feature.

So those who use the EF/EL DIFF in their falcons or Fairlanes and still use the 'umbrella type' lever i yet to see pics

or read info on what they did to make it work.

Do the ED/NC use a single solid brake rotor like whats used on EF/EL?

or are they ventilated? 

check out the thread bellow, its how to make an ef cable setup work in an eb, if eb are direct fit to x series i would safely assume this is what would be needed in our cars

http://www.fordmods.com/post823655.html?hilit=ef%20handbrake#p823655

ea-ed run a 287mm solid rotor

ef-el run a 299mm solid rotor

Cav, when I fitted a EB diff into my ZL, I used a hand brake cable out of a NA and it fitted without mods, was just two piece instead of one.

If your interested I've got a EBII sedan diff sitting in the back yard that I need to get rid of, complete disc to disc, with control arms and swb tail shaft in 3:23 LSD.

sending pm now

just a quick one, read that much info lately its all becoming a blur

initially i thought id use an ed diff for the ease of the handbrake system to fit into my zk, they are also semi hard to find in lsd and have decided im going to fit an aussie LOKKA

so are all eb2 ed open diffs still a 28 spline 4 pin ?

then i also noticed the brakes are bigger on the ef el diffs and easier to find and was considering changing the model

what is involved in using the ef el hand brake system?

glenn has sourced me a steel LWB tail shaft from an xg already so thanks again mate

do both ed and ef have the different selectable upper trailing arm mounts? which one do you use on a superlow car?

afaik the actual brake lines dont run the same as an earlier e / x series in the ef onwards type cars 

they are 2 flex brake lines from the body to the car 

instead of 1 that splits on the diff

that doesnt bother me too much anyway, you can modify earlier brake line to fit, am getting custom braided lines made anyway but your right its not as simple, its probably a requirement for the abs or something

will be going eb ed diff now anyway, decided last night i wont bother with ef el

that doesnt bother me too much anyway, you can modify earlier brake line to fit, am getting custom braided lines made anyway but your right its not as simple, its probably a requirement for the abs or something

will be going eb ed diff now anyway, decided last night i wont bother with ef el

Ive got a few if u want to buy one mate