Ando81

Xf leaking head gasket

I've been able to get the head off leaving both manifolds on so the egr pipe stayed in place, I tried to crack it but was only going to round the nut. I found a small piece of corrosion on the back of the head which may have caused the leak. Pics to follow.

ygerajeb.jpg<br />Has anyone used that spray on copper gasket stuff from repco. A mate of one suggested using a light spray of it as well as the gasket to hopefully fill in some of the gap.

Hey mate, yeah probs already said make sure the out side head bolt with the earth clamp is only tightened to second tention spec not final, and it doesnt hurt to put a bit of permatex on that bolt due to that bolt going into the water pump jacket.. cheers jake

Well after 8 hours I'm still no better off than I was this morning. Had put it back together and torqued down to the 75pound stage, started on the first bolt at 88 pound and snap. Snapped the stud off at just above the block so off came the head and the gasket was rooted, had to clean all surfaces and will start fresh tomorrow with new gasket and new bolts. Don't know if my tension wrench is dodgy or if I had some crap in the stud holes which jammed the thread and snapped the bolt. So much for trying to learn a bit and save some cash

Ended up getting the head gasket fixed this time. Turns out that my tension wrench was only sometimes releasing at the right point. Borrowed one off a mate and his worked much better. I used some head studs out of a virgin block because I couldn't wait for new ones to be posted out, wasn't going to trust my old ones that had been tensioned a few times. Seems to be running fine so far, thanks for all the helpful advice fellas

Cheers mate, seemed like the light had almost gone out at the end of the tunnel for a bit but I just had to battle on and get it done. Lost a day's work but who enjoys working on Monday anyway

Sounds like things went well for you Justin.

Did you use coolant or straight water when you filled the radiator back up? Glycol can ruin a new head gasket from what i've been told so i always use straight water for 500 km's then dump it and fill with the green stuff!! :)