xfish

XR8 Sprint

Hey Guys...

A bit off topic for this website.....but if I was to purchase the throttle body + manifold off a XR8 sprint, and attach it to my ElXR8, would the ecu be able to adapt to the increase of the CFM ( XR8 sprint ) to the standard XR8 set up?, or will I have to tweak a few things to adapt and get the most out of the new set-up.

Cause apparently the manifold of a sprint is 220 cfm, to the standard 170 cfm on the factory ELXR8...

get them off an AU instead, what intake does the sprint run? explorer or cobra intake?

i know they run GT40 heads, but they aren't P heads.

cobra intake is better than explorer, but P heads are better than standard GT40s

every model ford since the ea ran a diff plug for the ecu,s and efi set ups the only two to be alike are the ef el 5litre engine harness,s

antiher thing is the numbers on the ecu determine what bcm ecu ran and if they matched up to work

So, I just need to confirm, there is no way to bypass/fix the issue with the plugs?, even If the plugs are different, is there not a way to match them up to the existing loom to be adapted to work?

What year is your EL XR8?

As some or the last of them came fitted with the AU intake, however you will still have the crap E7 heads, which are a huge restriction on their own.

I purchased a sprint manifold + injector manifold, minus the car. If i could find a sprint, i'd definately park it in my shed along with my other collectibles. At present, i dont own a ELXR8, though i did about 10 years ago, So, I'm hunting one for the right price. I've spoken to a supercharger mob ( marks workshop in WA ), that stated a bolt on supercharger with a sprint manifold could push the car upto 400hp, without having to pull the motor down. A standard ELXR8 supercharger with all stock internals could produce a easily 300hp, but with a few tweeks here and there, 350hp is still a manigible amount. I will go through the due process to make it legit and have it compliance plated with permit.

I'm looking at one currently which has a pod filter on the end of the intake under the bonnett, so i will restore it to it's factory set-up, if i'm to purchase it. And make all the other necessary adjustments to it, to make it look factory again. The eastern states for ELXR8's price seem to ave most XR's priced between 2k -5k. But here in perth, they start at 3k and push all the way upto 8k.

I had a sprint in 2000, I wish I had never sold it. I have found a couple in oz for sale but dont live there.

I'm with Rev, if you find one leave it standard or keep the parts so it can be returned to standard etc.

Those sprint/GT/AU intakes will flow enough for 400hp N/A, especially on a 331 or 347. It's done time and time again in the states.

A bit off topic but, if I purchase this ELXR8 with the pod filter, if i return the original ducting and cold air intake system, will it wire up without incident, or will i have to have it retuned.....or will the ECU reset it self?

i have gt40ps on my ed xr engine. they've been opened up quite a bit. bigger valves and lots of porting. I also run an au lower/upper manifold which has been port matched to the heads. 1 inch spacer for the plenum. edelbrock 70mm egr and tb. au xr s3 maf. BA 6 cyl injectors (which are 29LB). Pushing almost 200rwkw. Opened up the engine quite nicely. Oh, its J3 chipped too.

i have gt40ps on my ed xr engine. they've been opened up quite a bit. bigger valves and lots of porting. I also run an au lower/upper manifold which has been port matched to the heads. 1 inch spacer for the plenum. edelbrock 70mm egr and tb. au xr s3 maf. BA 6 cyl injectors (which are 29LB). Pushing almost 200rwkw. Opened up the engine quite nicely. Oh, its J3 chipped too.

There was a write up on this years ago by street ford magazine which helps to corroborate what is written above. A cam change to at least .498 lift and 220@50 duration would push it up over that 200rwkw.