Sign in to follow this  
Clevo120Y

Trickflow 170 heads

I remember reading about Chrysler Hemis having a highly tuliped valve, in the order of 25 deg or so. This is to take advantage of the straight port and chamber shape presumably. It must have made the flow go around the valve head and not out into the chamber and cylinder wall. I would love to have been alive at the time and working in this field when folks were pioneering stuff like this. Love your work by the way.

funny you should mention that, i remember learning that from Rob Martini when he was explaining to me the basics of head flow improvements.

he used to make alan moffats valves to spec to suit the heads for that reason....

he used to make alan moffats valves to spec to suit the heads for that reason....

He'd know Peter Molloy, Moffatt's engine builder. Btw he's a bloke at work's uncle. Brilliant engineer so I hear.

no doubt he would, have never asked, but he would have known everyone in the circle. he used to work ford Head Mod back in the day as well.... spent a lot of time working on the classics. according to him 10 years in your apprenticeship in cylinder heads... then the real learning begins.

he still does a lot of the formula ford heads....

I've been reading up on the p38 head, wow what an awesome piece of kit.

Another head providing excitement with the US fox mustang guys is the trick flow 11r 190 and 205cc heads. They are really pumping out some numbers.

Another head providing excitement with the US fox mustang guys is the trick flow 11r 190 and 205cc heads. They are really pumping out some numbers.

Its a good sign when the trickflow heads are banned from some speedway applications in the usa, and thats the only head in their class thats banned lol 

must be doing something right

Good shit Clevo , Go the 302! Love a nice looking 5L. Hope ya doing well down there and didn't get too flooded last week. 120mm here in 6 hours.... spare ute almost floated away.... hehe.

Jack.

Wasn't too bad down here mate, first decent rain for a while, mostly on and off dribble for months.

gerg the data sheet says torque rear.  That's a mainline dyno and they are pretty good imho.  I think you get more accurate torque readings from an engine dyno tho as it does have wheel slip, loose straps etc to contend with. 

Great numbers Sean and in an early falcon that power will be a lot of fun. 

Ok that clears it up. I just couldn't get my head around a 302 making big-block torque, but that figure is after torque multiplication from the rear-end combined with loss/slippage in drivetrain. Just wasn't sure if this figure had been calculated back through diff ratio and converter, etc. There's definitely much more accuracy in measuring at the fly but doesn't translate to real-world power as a chassis dyno does. Very impressive figures from the little Windsor, a very stout performer. Well done to whoever screwed this one together.

Most certainly and impressive looking package.  Yeah it is really a toss up on the chassis dyno vs engine dyno front.  For an engine like slydog's crossy I would go engine dyno as it would help in selecting convertor and tune.  Big convertor cars on a chassis dyno can me a little tricky. 

But in reality you have to do both anyway as when the engine goes into the hole and is hooked up to the tranny and its own fuel system - extractors etc it usually requires a small amount of finessing anyway. 

The XL run down the strip on Wednesday, 11.6 at 114mph, a problem has been discovered, the valve springs that got put in are only 110lbs on the seat which isn't enough for the roller cam, a change of springs is being done soon. We thought the headers were limiting the revs and power it seems to probably be valve float so more power to come from this nasty little 302.