Sign in to follow this  
EgoXF

should I go for a change in cam?

g'day guys, I'm in the middle of doing a quick engine swap and I was wondering if it is worth changing the cam and if so what cam should i look for? At the moment the motor is bassically dead standard and i would like a little increase in power that the cops won't hassle me about, and i'd like to give it a better exhaust note as well, bit of lump if possible. any advice would be greatly apreciated, 

cheers, Jason

I've got a crow 619 here that I am just about to put into a fully rebuilt 250 bottom end.  look for the mad scientist engine thread coming soon, but it will be far from tame..  lol. 

hey Jason i ran i camtech ct142 - 520a/110 lobe sep, 540 lift. ( custom grind ) was a sweet cam ran on almost stock bottom end had a nice lope at idle and made 143 kw at wheels good pull from about 1800- 5800rpm but you probs wont spin yours that hard i did. will make good power till about 4500rpm on the stock top end after that you will brake something, will post vid to give you idea of sound this is very similar grind cam but not the camtech. 

th_IMG_0580_zpsd97f9445.jpg

http://www.crowcams.com.au/catalogue.aspx

Something like the 6th or 7th one down on the 250 cross flow page would be fine with stock valve gear, not saying to go with this mob, this is just as a guide.

I'm running the 204/214 in my 302 and it's a good street cam. If you definitely want lope, go with the 214/224.

thanks mate! i'm going to price the kits for these at work tomorrow and see what i can work out

No worrys mate just make sure you put new timing set on, and i would recommended dialing it in to bro using a good run in paste and some penrite oil but you probs know all this :) to, i think the camtech was about 480 posted to tas with anti pump up lifters but your closer and wont need pump ups so id say about 400 would set you back, 

No worrys mate just make sure you put new timing set on, and i would recommended dialing it in to bro using a good run in paste and some penrite oil but you probs know all this :) to, i think the camtech was about 480 posted to tas with anti pump up lifters but your closer and wont need pump ups so id say about 400 would set you back, 

yeah the kit's that you can get come from crow come with a timing set apparently. and thanks to autobarn employees discounts i'll be able to get it at cost price which will help! being 18 i don't have a lot of spending money so this all depends on wether i can sell some stuff real quick or not haha. i just thought it would be a good idea while the motor is already apart. 

yeah thats it man thats the way to go i have a new rollermaster set here you could have had for like $40 but ill need it now to put the cam in i got off ando76 Keen to see get here so i can get it in ;)

Yeah bloody oath jason its a pain in the ass lol, 

and yeah i too agree ando thats a good cam in terms as specs for running on the standard engine so would suggest it to and there only about $180? cheaps power upgrade if your tight like the rest of us haha...

oh my ass is the tightest of tight mate so budget is best! hahaha. i've actually put this idea on hold for a little while however as money is needed elsewhere and i think it would do better in the next 250 build i do, which will be the rebuild of the one that is already in it 

ooh don't you worry mate, once i'm working full time i better stay off here because i'll be buying performance parts left and right! haha

thats the way mate! you've grown up and it's time to go and play with the big boys! haha ;) if all goes to plan this old girl will be getting an old school 351, because that's the motor iv'e wanted since the time my dad brought a smoking hot XD when i was only 6. I can likely also blame it on my early years. when i was a baby i used to have trouble sleeping and the parants couldn't get me to stop crying, so they would fire up the XB GT coupe and take me for a burn around the block. put me straight to sleep everytime! haha. i'm going to find one in a year or two and build it ready for when i get my full licence. 

Must suck being on the mainland sometimes :P

Tassie you can drive a twin turbo V8 on your Ls and Ps if you want :P

351 in a '91 XF would be gas though wouldn't it?

Your not wrong, sometimes it certainly does! Can drive anything we want on our l's but when we get to p's its all taken away from us, forced to drive standard sixes :'(

Yes i would say I'll have to go gas, but in prepared to do that