Mr Polson

Weird headlight/indicator issue - XF FalconGL

Having a weird issue in my XF wagon.

I have a video to do most of the explaining.

The high beam relay buzzes when high beams are on. Tried swapping out the relay, doesn't change/fix it.

Tried another headlight assembly (in vid), same issues. Only difference is headlight is dimmer on low beam when using factory headlight.

I'll try swapping the stalk, I don't have another switch though, this is my only GL :P

The connection for the headlight is a bit rusty, so the terminal on the harness could be a bit corroded too. Any way to get in it and clean it? Or just spray it with WD40?

Okay all earths are where they should be.

I've been told it could be the wire between the headlight and the earth, how do I test that?

I have a multimeter, but about all I know how to do with it is check voltage across a battery lol

did you end up figuring it out because mines doing the same thing but with a xe wiring harness in a xf and we came down to the oil pressure wire was crossed with a high beam wire but not sure where yet

Its a short, if ya can grab another stalk, bet it's that. The switches go in these after years of abuse, but it may also be in the loom.

To test for a bad earth you use resistance on the mutimeter..... the upside down horseshoe symbol.

Set the multimeter to about 2K and just measure resistances on earths on both sides, should be close. Also you can spin the dial to same one you measure battery voltage with and check the positive wires voltage, this is VERY handy for fault finding in wiring.

Sometimes on the old XF's it was even the lamp globe had a dodgy connection where it joins at back of headlight.

Theres a black wire from back of headlight, with multimeter on "Ohms" (upside down horseshoe shape) , you put one lead on that and one to body of car, if headlight gets brighter you have an earth problem.

Hope that helps, Jack.