Sign in to follow this  
hendrixhc

Drop base Air filter.

Anyone running a drop base air filter on a holley with a throttle linkage kit?

How does it go with clearance?

What size element are you running for bonnet clearance?

a drop down base with an 1.5" drop just touches the upper part of the throttle return piece of the bracket at full throttle only.  Its only just and a slight grind of the bracket or perhaps 3 base gaskets would see it clear without an issue. 

ok and for some reason postimage doesn't want to let me post the photos of the drop down base actually on the carby.  PM me and I'll send them thru to your mobile. 

or I'll try again later. 

Just remember to put it on the right way. Nothing to stop it from swivelling around, if you fit the PCV pipe etc...

Stuck throttle...........not good. Used to run mine with a 2 inch paper element. No dramas.

This is a repeat of what i put in my project thread just for reference purposes showing the clearances!

Ok so i chucked the filter on tonight cause i just couldnt wait.

afon2_zps3c5da7dd.jpg

Happy to report that everything clears, throttle linkage and bonnet. The only thing that fouls is the return springs scrape on the underside.

afon3_zpsc0a69ce7.jpg

afon4_zps5bd44ec5.jpg

Might still have a play round with the return springs cause i do like the look of them on there. Throttle was quite firm but felt ok.

Really like they way this is starting to look under here now.

afon5_zps941a459c.jpg

I also really like the reflections of the underside of the bonnet on the chrome top of the filter.

afon1_zpseeaf9129.jpg

Tensions building now. Going to put in some long hours and get the rest done so i can here this thing running!  :rolleyes:

thanks to rob for posting the photo on my behalf - bloody technology shits me some times. 

Don't worry took around 1.5hrs to load then failed...but worked the 2nd time in about 3 sec's?

Go figure...LOL

i was running a drop base on the holley 350 on my XC xflow and it sat on the carby and fouled on the linkages. i bought a 1 1/2" air cleaner spacer and it worked a treat, just gave enough clearance for the carb and linkages etc and i was able to stick a 14" x 3" air cleaner under the bonnet.

http://www.kustombitz.com.au/p/4455983/plastic-air-cleaner-spacer-riser-ring-1-12-inch-tall-4-barrel-5-18-inch-holley---torco.html

just a quicky... anyone tried to run a drop down on a holley ultra which have the dominator sized fuel bowls??? was going to try one but don't wanna go get one then find out it wont even fit past those :(

Cheers Ronny. The set up has changed a bit since this thread. I have flipped the bracket and return spring and dropped one off. Its in my project thread if your interested!