Sign in to follow this  
xdfairmont79

mint glaze paint.

hey giys and maybe gals? iv got a problem. i ahve a mint glaze xd falcon ute, its a little rough and the paint is f**ked so i want to see the colour and match it to repaint the old girl during the resto. i cant google the colour and i cant even find a colour chart from ford or anything so im lost. iv never even seen another x series in this colour.. how rare is it? 

This is my old thrasher, a mint glaze XD, & next to Xdrift in darwin. I allways thought they were rare & i still think they are! In the last 2 years ive seen a few around, including 2 sedans at the brisbane all ford day 2 weeks ago. 23092008.jpg

020.jpg

awesome this is what i need! haha do you think you could send me some really good pictures of the paint close up in the open light like midday so i can get a rattle can made up for minor repair i need to do?

No paint chart or colour match will ever match that faded, rusted, half sunburnt off paint that is on there now so your pretty much going to have to just invent your own colour to blend in or accept whatever comes out of the gun mate.

yeah colour matching that would be a nightmare.  save your sheckles for a complete respray in factory colour and just run it how it is for that 'rat' rod look.  Will match the Mexican blanket perfectly.  Or you could just rub back what it there and hit is with some cheap arse clear.  I think PROTEC even do a satin clear now.  get whoever does the repair to top coat it in some red zinc oxide and rub it back a bit for that 'distressed' look and satin clear over that. 

Satin black stockies and dumped on its guts and it would be a sweet ride until you had the coin for a proper paint up. Just my thoughts

yeah colour matching that would be a nightmare.  save your sheckles for a complete respray in factory colour and just run it how it is for that 'rat' rod look.  Will match the Mexican blanket perfectly.  Or you could just rub back what it there and hit is with some cheap arse clear.  I think PROTEC even do a satin clear now.  get whoever does the repair to top coat it in some red zinc oxide and rub it back a bit for that 'distressed' look and satin clear over that. 

Satin black stockies and dumped on its guts and it would be a sweet ride until you had the coin for a proper paint up. Just my thoughts

i like the found in a paddock look,  i'd love something with the patina if you can call it that of original paint that has been driven through a barbed wire fence and rounded up cattle etc.

the trick is how to replace the panels without messing with the look to much, a different colour guard from an Spack would suit me fine(at least the stripe matches)

its not everyones cuppa tea though

Yep that would be the best way but it through to the base coat in a few area so would really need to go down to bare to be done properly and make it last and that is where shit gets seriously expensive unless you can do all the prep yourself. 

EPOTEC (primer, surfacer and high build in one), couple of litres of base coat and then a couple of litres of clear.  It all starts adding up. that's why is suggested the rat rod look. 

yea i wont change the colour or do anything to the paint because i want her to look nice and abused, grandaddy cap thing and slam it with some fluffy dice and the mexican blanket. this is what iv always wanted to do to a ute. so ill do that haha, also i thought about making a tonneau cover out of mexican blankets. then slammed it would look badass. there is a build thread on this car now. 

No paint chart or colour match will ever match that faded, rusted, half sunburnt off paint that is on there now so your pretty much going to have to just invent your own colour to blend in or accept whatever comes out of the gun mate.

oh so you like the paint aye? :P haha 

Any decent Auto parts store should be able to mix up a rattle can for ya. I used to do it, myself. Get the paint code off the vin plate, as seen in the photos above it should be " D ". Can get 1 litre, 4 litres or spray can mixed up. Obviously it'll be brighter than your existing paint.

i had 1 pressure pack mixed up just to paint the engine bay. I was a bit rushed for time & this was the quickest way. 4 litres can usually cover an entire ute if you use it sparingly.

i had 1 pressure pack mixed up just to paint the engine bay. I was a bit rushed for time & this was the quickest way. 4 litres can usually cover an entire ute if you use it sparingly.

4 litre to paint a ute shit did you give it 40 coats,lol man i paint around 200 cars truck utes a year 3litres of base coat is plenty to smash around a ute 3 to 4 coats is plenty even like my xe itl take 3 litres ,to change the colour from a bare shell,cheers