Squid

Holley 350, dual fuel help!

Hey guys,

Just got a brand new 350 Holley, brand new intake manifold and new gas mixer on my crossflow and its running like shit.

I'm not really a mechanic guy but the mechanic that put it on for me took the choke out of the carby, because it didn't fit with the gas mixer?

Also, driving home from yesterday on gas, the gas converter froze..? And then when I switched to petrol and it was backfiring..

And it's a bastard to start, actually I can hardly start it.. Help? Any ideas?

Remove the gas is my idea haha, never known a single car to run well duel fuel, not au's not ba's, not xf's, not vy's, not vt's, cars weren't designed to run dual fuel, except a few that run okay that are factory fitted

the mixer freezing over wont be the carby. it will be as thom says. somehow isn't getting coolant into it. check thermostat and everything to do with coolant.
and make sure the gas hat and air cleaner is sealed onto the top of the carby properly

You need to do some tests, first I would do a compression test to make sure a valve isn't been held open, then a check of the ignition system, make sure the leads are in the correct order and no cracks in the dizzy cap, then check the timing. Make sure there are no airleaks around the base of the carb and the inlet manifold to head gasket.

In regards to the converter freezing what the others have said is spot on, the converter needs hot coolant to flow through it to vaporise the gas, when there isn't enough temp in it she freezes. Removing the choke was not a good idea in my opinion, it will be a bastard to start without it, if the mixer doesn't fit then it's the wrong mixer or you need to make a spacer to raise it up to clear the choke.

I don't want to come across as rude but having personal convo's with you, you might be better off finding a new mechanic as I feel he has let you down a bit if the car left his garage running the way it is. Not having a go at you personally Squid man so please don't be offended by my comments.

had a bit to do with gas ,you need to make sure the coolant level is totally full ,you need to make sure ,the water lines ,are hooked up to make the hot coolant flow through the converter, meaning one of the hoses ,must, come directly from the water pump to the converter ,this will stop it freezing ,has it been fitted with a hi speed flow ,also buying a new system ,should run like a dream ,go back and dont muck around let the dh know your unhappy and that the car is now rooted

generally backfiring means the plugs are rooted or the wrong heat range ,and it could need to be advanced to make it run better

Cheers for your help guys! I though that the gas had something to do with coolant issues. I've rang them and some is coming to have a look, and if they can't get it started then its getting a free tow back to their garage.

This is the 4th mechanic in my area that I've taken her to and no one has done a good job..

It's be so much easier if I just had more mechanical knowledge!

I'm pissed off about it, because it should just run with the new set up!