Sign in to follow this  
Clevo120Y

AU 5ltr

I can't believe I'm posting in this section so permission granted to burn hahahaha, anyway I bought an AU2 5ltr wagon today cheap as it is a little rough but I'm just after a list of things to check when I try and resolve a problem tomorrow,  the first problem is that there is a vibration when accelerating lightly but will go away or not as noticeable if you accelerate a bit harder, cruises at 110 fine, can feel it when at suburban speed and light acceleration. with the car parked and in neutral give it a rev and you feel a shudder as the revs nearly get back to idle, looking at the engine give the throttle a snap and the engine shudders at just before idle the engine moves in an up and down direction and dose this slightly when just idling, trying to explain how it looks, the crank pulley pitches up and down like if you grabbed the back of the gearbox housing and pushed it up and down. My thoughts are gearbox mount rubber or engine mounts are stuffed but I would like some ideas chucked around so when I'm under the car tommoz I have a list of possibles.

Thanks guys

Not missing as far as I can tell, revs clean and crisp from idle in neutral, pulls fine when driving but hard to tell if there is a miss at light throttle because of the shudder/vibration at light acceleration but she doesn't bog down and seems to accelerate at a consistent rate. 

ok check the engine mounts they actually sheer all the bolts off ,from block to engine mount ,have had to do this fix a few times ,but only on AU  v8,s ,if it has done this easy fix,just mig weld nuts to broken bolts,and while red hot screw them out,if not check rear gearbox mount ,the go soft ,and allow movement,

Thanks Pete, do I have to pull the headers to get at it? plus I only TIG weld mate so don't have a MIG which might makes things a bit more difficult, I'm hoping it's just a rear mount then. I've never owned a Windsor before, pretty gutless in stock form in my opinion, should be a good family cruiser when I finish fixing her up, I mainly bought it for the 3rd row seat as I have 4 kids and a good excuse to have a V8 family truckster lol

no with the engine mounts ,you can get to it directly from underneath the car ,you only need to remove the starter motor to do the left rear bolt,good luck bloke,

yeah good call Thom, they do run a shit of a harmonic balancer!

So I finally got around to looking at this today, engine mount bolts are all good, checked the torque converter bolts all good, the gearbox mount looks OK but with minimal effort I can lift the rear extesion housing and bounce it up and down a good 5mm at least so I think I will replace that and see how we go.

Seeing as I'm sniffing around in the Windsor section I thought I may as well bump this. Did you find the culprit?

So it cured all the Vibration issues?

My EL V8 has a similar problem when accelerating briskly....... it gets to about 100km/h at 4000rpm under load, and the whole car starts vibrating intensely,

but if I back off the throttle some, and just cruise along at 100, the vibe is gone.

Only when accelerating and only over about 90-100 at about 4k.

It's a strange one.

Any idea's?