xebruce

cams

the xy runs 12.2 dave, the quickest clevo i've built went low 11s NA, and on the bottle ran 10s but i didn't do the nitrous setup. running 12s with a clevo is a piece of cake bud.

i dont have the money for my own big $$$ motors thats why i'm peicing mine together slowly, was hoping to build it in march but ive been laid off twice in 12 months.... i build them for people who dont have the skills to do it themselves, by no means a professional but i have a lot of skill for someone who doesn't do it for a living.

yes my old man is a mechanic and i have been working on cars since i was 8, just wish i had more cash so i could finish the fucking XC motor.

dave ill try n find a pic of me putting together the XY motor, i know theres definatly a pic somewhere of that, and the ELs motor after the cam n head swap.

now back to the thread. where do you live xebruce?

302 and 250 crossflow have many similarities, I have the same problems as you Gerg but way worse, I literally never get on cam around town. 1,700kg, BW51 and 2.77 will do that :(

My cam is very similar to yours in duration, what kind of economy are you getting mate????

My engine's still pretty tight at 5000 km, economy was shocking initially (30L/100) but has settled down to around 15L/100km city/freeway. I'm running a 600 vac sec Holley with annular boosters in the primaries and 62 jets. Goes ok, wagons are pretty heavy and E10 is crap when you wanna nail it... Pings its head off, but when you back off the timing enough, it goes like a busted fart.

I reckon headers will wake it up a lot, but there are only so many dollars in a pay packet.

I believe xebruce lives in Southland, at the bottom of NZ.

I originally had a 302 clev and put a Crower cam, with 535 odd lift and 220 odd duration from memory, sounded cool and went ok, it was a cheap cam that was available at the time, with only the basic bolt on mods of headers etc. I also had a single rail and 3.27 xg uterus diff.

Not sure on the 350hp though, but I'm no clevo tech, I'm a Windsor fan.

Yep Bottom of NZ. Only ever replaced a head gasket, done water pumps and a timing chain once. Ive never done a cam so I guess ill just research up on it and give it a go.

How old is your timing set? If it's old or the,factory setup using nylon tooth gears it would be worthwhile changing (and a performance gain on it's own, from xc on the factory timing set changed the cam timing for emissions reasons but also hurt power on a big way the easiest fix is to replace the timing set with a rollmaster set)

How old is your timing set? If it's old or the,factory setup using nylon tooth gears it would be worthwhile changing (and a performance gain on it's own, from xc on the factory timing set changed the cam timing for emissions reasons but also hurt power on a big way the easiest fix is to replace the timing set with a rollmaster set)

Was going to replace it at the same time, its coming off so might as well do it.

just tell him you want a comp DEH265, if he cant supply it get it shipped from the US, summit will have it at your door in 14 days.

stage two is a total bs statement, there is no comp cam called a "stage 2".... leaves you not knowing which cam you own....

heres the summit link; cam, lifters, timing chain.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-sk32-207-3

just tell him you want a comp DEH265, if he cant supply it get it shipped from the US, summit will have it at your door in 14 days.

stage two is a total bs statement, there is no comp cam called a "stage 2".... leaves you not knowing which cam you own....

heres the summit link; cam, lifters, timing chain.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-sk32-207-3

Yeah "stages" were simply a marketing method for those who couldn't grasp the concept of cam specs. It seemed to be around most in the 80s and 90s. Stage 1 was a towing cam, 2 was mild performance, and 3 was a hot street grind that was as big as you could comfortably go without it being a pig. 4 & 5 were "race" cams

With great advances in camshaft design and computer software, they could no longer just lump each performance cam into one group. Nowdays, if you look at a cam website, for a given engine type there are more than 5 cams just for mild street engines, and it goes up from there. There's more than 15 or so for Clevelands in Crow's catalogue. The description of the cam says it all, no need to decipher the figures too much.

the xy runs 12.2 dave, the quickest clevo i've built went low 11s NA, and on the bottle ran 10s but i didn't do the nitrous setup. running 12s with a clevo is a piece of cake bud.

i dont have the money for my own big $$$ motors thats why i'm peicing mine together slowly, was hoping to build it in march but ive been laid off twice in 12 months.... i build them for people who dont have the skills to do it themselves, by no means a professional but i have a lot of skill for someone who doesn't do it for a living.

yes my old man is a mechanic and i have been working on cars since i was 8, just wish i had more cash so i could finish the fucking XC motor.

dave ill try n find a pic of me putting together the XY motor, i know theres definatly a pic somewhere of that, and the ELs motor after the cam n head swap.

now back to the thread. where do you live xebruce?

you need to spend money to push a 350cube engine into the 12s?

my stockish clevo in my corty is $2400 engine and has been 11.9 at 117mph and never been on the rollers or had the crank machined LOL   

my old man showed me dick about cars and that never stoped me. its nice that you dad let you put his engine together :) 

stage 2 cam love that same as fully worked my mates use to tell me that when they asked me about mine i always told them it was stock LOL just like eddies mate torry spun to 9000rpm and number plates stock6 :)

what did you end up going with?

Turns out the stage two one was a deh275 he just told me that one as he just sold one to a guy with a 351. Went with the 265

i think the 265 will better suit your motor dude :) good choice. your springs should have enough pressure to stop valve float, if not you can probably get away with shimming them a little, i've done that before when i've needed too.

did you grab lifters and a timing chain while you were at it?

Hey, my advice would be to get it degreed, you can't always trust the dot to dot method to be right, the cam could end up retarded or advanced etc. Get it degreed as per cam specs and then you know it's right!

Hey, my advice would be to get it degreed, you can't always trust the dot to dot method to be right, the cam could end up retarded or advanced etc. Get it degreed as per cam specs and then you know it's right!

+1 on that

Think im going to have to rip the engine out and take it to a shop. Got everything back together. It started pretty easy did the run in with all the right stuff and it sounded mint. Turned it off and let it cool down. Next day drained the run in oil and changed oil and filter. now it wont start. it just about wants to start on a couple of cylinders just pops and bangs and smoke coming out rocker cover breather. Should have just forked out the dosh and got the shop to do a full rebuild.