XES

Wideband sensor port position

I'm fitting a wideband sensor to my carbyed 302 exhaust and wondering peoples opinions on where the port should go. I've heard it should be about 18 inches from the heads in the extractors. What I'm wondering is if I do that I'll be able to read from one side of the motor. But if I fit it in or after the y piece where the two sets extractors come together it might be to far away to give an accurate reading. Also I've been told that turbulence could be an issue in that position too and that they don't like that either. <br /><br />Its only going to be giving me a reading to tune the Carb better not for data for an ecu.<br />

Follow the manufactures recommendations and you can't go wrong. I use a AEM widebands on the speedway car and the burnout car. I put them a fair way down stream as that was the recommendation for leaded fuels (burnout car is on avgas) and high rpm use. Speedway car is on Meth and I have killed one sensor in the two years I've had it on.

Yes you will only be reading from one bank but that will be sufficient for the tuning you are after. There are kits available that have two sensors and are therefor more accurate but they are double the cost and really not worth it in your application. I would not be putting your sensor in the collector where both sides meet as I reckon you will have issues. Most factory stuff is close to the head so they must be onto something.

So to sum up I'd be sticking with the manufactures recommendations, at least then you will have some chance at warranty should you have a sensor failure. Suggestion only

Follow the manufactures recommendations and you can't go wrong. I use a AEM widebands on the speedway car and the burnout car. I put them a fair way down stream as that was the recommendation for leaded fuels (burnout car is on avgas) and high rpm use. Speedway car is on Meth and I have killed one sensor in the two years I've had it on.

Yes you will only be reading from one bank but that will be sufficient for the tuning you are after. There are kits available that have two sensors and are therefor more accurate but they are double the cost and really not worth it in your application. I would not be putting your sensor in the collector where both sides meet as I reckon you will have issues. Most factory stuff is close to the head so they must be onto something.

So to sum up I'd be sticking with the manufactures recommendations, at least then you will have some chance at warranty should you have a sensor failure. Suggestion only

I meant on the last collector on the extractor, so only one bank, not where the two meet.

innovate sell adapters that clip onto the tail pipe for an external setup like on a chassis dyno or a removable EFI tuning kit for tuning customer cars and stuff..  placement cant be thats critical if thats the case.  They have there own heating element so its not a matter of needing the heat in the pipe.  plus they got 5m of harness.

Nah Clint, I got a port from work to bang in and fellow member said he'd lend me his if I wanted.  So i'll do that whilst saving for my own.  Can't quite afford it this week.

M18x1.5 if i remember correctly.  The port that comes with the innovate kit is pretty long, dunno if your supposed to cut it down or what cos the tip of the probe wont even protrude out the end of it installed.  I just used the one that was already in my extractors.

Yeah I grabbed one of the proflow ones from work.  18 X 1.5 is the size of it.  Has been with every other O2 port ive had anything to do with too,  The length seems about right I think.  I wish my extractors already had a port. Its going to be a bit fiddly welding it in.  Especially cos i'm not a great welder.  But I'll have a crack hey!!

After the final collector.

The reason older units were installed close to the head is they did not have internal heating elements and the o2 sensors wont work unless they are a couple hundred degrees C.

New units and particularly widebands have heating elements built in and will usually be operational in free air within 15 seconds. So you can install them anywhere downstream of the final collector if you don't have a cat. If you have a cat converter put the bung between the converter and the final collector for best results.

Easy way to tell if an older style unit is heated is it will always have 3 or 4 wires (2 for the heating circuit, the 4th wire is on high accuracy units that use a separate signal earth)

So I could put it down stream of the y where the two extractors come together then and have reading from both sides of the motor then.