wok

Clevo into XE heater hose route

G'day been checking the net and found different photos of how this is hooked up.

so want to know which hose go to what port on firewall, and which one should have the heater tap ?

its currently

water pump tube to top tube on firewall

block tube to lower port and this has the heater tap ??

Thanks
Warren

good question,i always disconnect the fkr and block it off at the water pump,but cause your in melbourne its cold,up here dont need it,also depends on what year your xe is,becuase of the v8 thing in 82,meaning different positions of the pipes on the firewall,6cyls too,i did a late 84 xe once and different again.

i don't think it would make much difference if any which way was in/out at the firewall, i'd just make the hose runs from the engine and choose the neatest path. put the heater tap in the correct direction(arrow on it) in the supply line before the firewall, and the return one goes straight to the water pump unless i'm mistaken. 

you'd need it for any rwc/V8 mechanical report anyway. 

From the workshop manual's crappy diagram, it looks like the block tube goes thru a bracket that is attached to the top of the air con unit, then to another bracket that hangs from the inner bolt of the shock tower and then to the heater tap.

The water pump hose is clamped to the other hose at the air con bracket, it then goes thru the bracket on the shock tower and then to the other inlet on the firewall.

Reckon the top hose on the water pump goes straight to the firewall, then out to the heater tap, then to the lower brass take off spigot thingy. Yeah, and through a double clamp that hangs off the shock tower bolt.

Pretty sure VL 5.0 litre heater hose is the easiest to use, its about a metre long with a 90* bend on the end, so you don't end up kinking the hose. cant remember the number...... it's 3 am.

thanks for the replies, the is XE previous 6 cylinder now with clevo and has XG dash and i assume heater. (also has xg front clip)   the previous owner or mechanic workshop has drilled and tapped the manifold above the #8 cylinder and pulled heater tap vacuum from there...wtf !...will be disconnecting that, now to rework the vacuum lines 

With the XG heater box/control, the hot/cold dial on the dash moves a lever behind the glove box, so is that  just a blend door ? to mix hot and cold air to get desired temp inside cabin ? if so i assume this also controls the vacuum to the actual heater tap, i have a green skinny vac line and i think orange coming from the firewall into engine bay, both disconnected at this point. the other thing it apepars they  have disabled the ability to stiwtch from screen, to face to feet, again i assume this is vacuum conttrolled

The clevo appears to be an earlier blue block and have most of the original vacuum tree missing (prob why the drilled the manifold).  

1 hour ago, wok said:

thanks for the replies, the is XE previous 6 cylinder now with clevo and has XG dash and i assume heater. (also has xg front clip)   the previous owner or mechanic workshop has drilled and tapped the manifold above the #8 cylinder and pulled heater tap vacuum from there...wtf !...will be disconnecting that, now to rework the vacuum lines 

where do the heater hoses come out of the fire wall? low down or high up? silver one is XD or XE position, (some are angled, some side by side) 

ford-falcon-esp-engine-bay.jpg

Kxvhfug.jpg

1 hour ago, wok said:

With the XG heater box/control, the hot/cold dial on the dash moves a lever behind the glove box, so is that  just a blend door ? to mix hot and cold air to get desired temp inside cabin ? if so i assume this also controls the vacuum to the actual heater tap, i have a green skinny vac line and i think orange coming from the firewall into engine bay, both disconnected at this point. the other thing it apepars they  have disabled the ability to stiwtch from screen, to face to feet, again i assume this is vacuum conttrolled

The clevo appears to be an earlier blue block and have most of the original vacuum tree missing (prob why the drilled the manifold).  

the green wire goes to the heater tap, i think if it's disconnected the heater tap is always flowing water, and only stops when the vacuum is on it (can't remember but pretty sure)

that lever behind the glove box has a vacuum switch on it, that probably releases the heater tap as soon as you move it a bit (cold = heater tap off, anything else, heater tap open, i don't see how it can be variable but it might be?) 

the vacuum for the entire dash from the engine bay is black, they often pulled out of the connector in behind the glovebox, i've had to glue in a few.  see if it's lost in there. as that will be needed for the face/feet/ heater .. everything. 

orange one? unless orange is an XG version of the black XF one? i can't remember, there was a white one that didn't seem to be needed. 

fairly sure there was a vacuum diagram somewhere on this forum.  i won't have time to check any time soon. 

not sure what you mean by the clevo rear vacuum tree, it was on the rear for brake booster and some other vacuum(assume C10 trans modulator) 

front one would be for vac advance on dissy.. 

the other trees the later clevos had were mainly for the thermo quad carby.. aka don't open 4 barrels when cold and other similar things pollution related (heat riser flap on air cleaner intake like the XE six had) 

Thanks for responding
So the heater is from XE dated 84 on the wiring tag, and the pipes come up too on firewall.

On the back of intake it's just a two port metal vacuum tree one to booster the other to C10 trans, what does the factory xe V8 have ? I thought they were a white plastic with 3/4 ports ?

Yes correct I have a black, green and orange plastic lines coming into the engine bay all unhooked. Have put the green to heater tap,
On factory V8 XE where would the black (main supply of vac) vacuum connect ?

Once I get that hooked up I can trouble shoot the switching, which could be an XG controls to XE vacuum port problem

The orange has what looks to be a round valve ( assume it's a one way valve ?)

The engine ported vacuum switches have been removed, but if they are for the carb I won't worry about them for now

I found the diagrams for 6 cylinder xd/xe

Thanks warren

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, wok said:

found the diagrams for 6 cylinder xd/xe

they'd be same for V8 basically

basically put that black hose on the vac port with the brake booster, T piece would work, the later cars (XD -XE would have had the plastic one due to vacuum heater stuff, XC was cable) 

the 6cyl vac port if it doesn't crumble on removal would work, i would get a new one or a t piece if the one on it now is brass (plastic is easily broken) 

Excellent, thanks for help, hooked up as mentioned and everything now works, can switch hot / cold and change air output from windscreen to face to feet. Another job sorted thanks to forum !

47 minutes ago, wok said:

Excellent, thanks for help, hooked up as mentioned and everything now works, can switch hot / cold and change air output from windscreen to face to feet. Another job sorted thanks to forum !

nice to know i can still remember enough of it.