XES 384

XE Diff Ratio

2 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

i have a set of 28 spilne axles here from a xg ,can they fit on that drum housing ?like a retro fit 

the XE diff will be 25 spline 

so if you wanted to run 28 spline to my knowledge you'd need(i'm not 100% sure)

2.77 LSD center,  if wanting LSD

not sure if you can retro fit 4pin setup into them? (thought there was a 28 spline version though?)

if you wanted those axles you'd need the 28 spline spider gears in the center(no idea if they fit)

i think the EB axles will fit the drum diff if you put the correct bearings in and holders on? (never tried, haven't read about it for well over 10yrs)

i think you can convert from drum to disc by drilling new holes in the disc caliper mountings and clocking them different (the flange on the diff is rotated differently for drum and disc. )

@Thom may remember, @gerg may know even 

if it was Mine, i'd be getting a 2.77 LSD diff with discs from an XF ghia/ZL fairlane etc (some were 2.92 for no apparent reason in my opinion)  and then having the gears fitted to it. leaving it 25 spline unless you are going big hp (stock 351 would be fine with 25 spline, I never had 28 spline in anything i had not even the 1UZ conversion) 

32 minutes ago, deankxf said:

the XE diff will be 25 spline 

so if you wanted to run 28 spline to my knowledge you'd need(i'm not 100% sure)

2.77 LSD center,  if wanting LSD

not sure if you can retro fit 4pin setup into them? (thought there was a 28 spline version though?)

if you wanted those axles you'd need the 28 spline spider gears in the center(no idea if they fit)

i think the EB axles will fit the drum diff if you put the correct bearings in and holders on? (never tried, haven't read about it for well over 10yrs)

i think you can convert from drum to disc by drilling new holes in the disc caliper mountings and clocking them different (the flange on the diff is rotated differently for drum and disc. )

@Thom may remember, @gerg may know even 

if it was Mine, i'd be getting a 2.77 LSD diff with discs from an XF ghia/ZL fairlane etc (some were 2.92 for no apparent reason in my opinion)  and then having the gears fitted to it. leaving it 25 spline unless you are going big hp (stock 351 would be fine with 25 spline, I never had 28 spline in anything i had not even the 1UZ conversion) 

Agree 100%

I cant understand why anyone would want a 2.53 ratio crown and pinion, other than to say they have one

1 hour ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

next question is what does the 2.53 gearset belong too ? the 2.77 diff housing or the 2.92 ? maybe thom knows.

Same hemisphere as a 2.77

20 minutes ago, burnnotice1000 said:

Barn find rare 2.53 b/w gear set $900 Ono baahaaaaa

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Yeah, but whats it good for? 2.77 is too tall in my opinion

19 minutes ago, Fingers said:

Yeah, but whats it good for? 2.77 is too tall in my opinion

i loved the 2.77 even with the crossflow and T5 

for engines that make good torque from idle to 4000rpm like i had, My ute was happy doing 1850rpm in 5th with 2 x 100kg adults, 2 motorbikes in the back with 2 chainsaws and 6x4 trailer level with wood on the highway(would have been same fuel economy in 4th but less noise in 5th)

if i didn't have overdrive i'd have tried the 2.53 for sure if they were common, i reckon 1st would be no worse with a single rail (6cyl one) as My XD was with the 351 version single rail and 2.92 gears i had once. 

i loved the 2.77 even with the crossflow and T5 
for engines that make good torque from idle to 4000rpm like i had, My ute was happy doing 1850rpm in 5th with 2 x 100kg adults, 2 motorbikes in the back with 2 chainsaws and 6x4 trailer level with wood on the highway(would have been same fuel economy in 4th but less noise in 5th)

if i didn't have overdrive i'd have tried the 2.53 for sure if they were common, i reckon 1st would be no worse with a single rail (6cyl one) as My XD was with the 351 version single rail and 2.92 gears i had once. 
What about for a turbo crossflow, wouldn't tall gears be go ?

8 minutes ago, burnnotice1000 said:

What about for a turbo crossflow, wouldn't tall gears be go ?

would depend on your spool/lag turbo size i would think. 

if it's a small turbo that spools early (runs out of puff early) it's probably going to be pretty ok, but if its got no low end torque and comes in higher in the rev range i reckon it would be pretty painful to own. 

just being manual the 1st gear ratio is going to be better than a BW40 trans it's got now,