XES 384

XE Diff Ratio

58 minutes ago, XES 384 said:

Hi all, anyone know what diff ratio an 84 XE S Pack 4.1 EFI auto sedan would come with from the factory?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

most likely 2.77 possibly 2.92

if the diff doesn't have it's tag on the back cover any more,  you can see the ratio on the crown wheel diff gear stamped in. (involves dealing with smelly oil etc)

1 hour ago, Fingers said:

Some also had 2.53

mythical ratio, has anyone seen one? 

mate of mine said he had a 3.12 ratio in an XF that was factory fitted (never converted at least) 

mate of mine said he had a 3.12 ratio in an XF that was factory fitted (never converted at least) 
Efi auto would have 2.92 or 2.77 in sedan.but interesting talking point is the 4 speed single rail in efi sedan ratios in the gearbox are different

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

On 3/11/2023 at 10:58 PM, deankdx said:

According to the parts listing, it was only XE 4.1 auto sedan, without A/C.

That would make it relatively rare as A/C was a very popular option

2 hours ago, Fingers said:

According to the parts listing, it was only XE 4.1 auto sedan, without A/C.

That would make it relatively rare as A/C was a very popular option

i think i had one once (XE auto without air) never checked the ratio, but it didn't seem slow compared to anything else(was on lpg also.. as that was My number 1 rule in the day) 

didn't keep it long, bought it when My car was off the road for 351 conversion and sold it for similar within a few weeks (approx $2000 without rwc bought, sold for $2000 with rwc, only needed rear brakes doing from memory and 2 ball joints)

I have an XE at the moment that I suspect has one too.

Slower than they usually are (though that could be due to the elderly previous owner) and a 4.1 auto sedan without A/C.

I will take a photo of the tag next time I'm under it.

im dying to see this,as i have never seen or heard of such a diff ratio.i have heard of the 2.53 ,but not this other one,it dont make sense with such a ratio so close to the 2.92 or 2.77,we all know of 3.23,only thing i can think of is a 5 speed 3.3 litre ratio maybe.

On 3/23/2023 at 11:08 PM, CHESTNUTXE said:

im dying to see this,as i have never seen or heard of such a diff ratio.i have heard of the 2.53 ,but not this other one,it dont make sense with such a ratio so close to the 2.92 or 2.77,we all know of 3.23,only thing i can think of is a 5 speed 3.3 litre ratio maybe.

I  have never heard of the 3.12.

I was replying regarding the 2.53.

3 speed manual were usually 3.5:1
I have been waiting all afternoon to post this picture,I got under my new xe project car and here it is ladies and gentlemen the 2.53 borgy,I'm sure I'm reading the tag correctly, 1st one I have ever seen in the flesh and owned.983f8ab94d8b0878a3fca0a7aedb8cc0.jpg

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, burnnotice1000 said:

here it is ladies and gentlemen the 2.53 borgy,

OMG!!!!

that's got to be stickied, plastered all over the interwebs and facebook groups

IMAGINE that ratio with a 6cyl single rail, with a clevo, wouldn't need overdrive  and the 351 torque would pull away in 1st gear like it's nothing

Had a mate with an xf that had been converted from auto to 5 speed ,,

burnt 3 clutches out “ under warranty “ 

trying to drive up my driveway ,,

my ol wood hooker ,,, 

kb laser with 1500 manual with 3/4 a tonne of wood in it ,,,   Piss it in 

2 minutes ago, dex said:

Had a mate with an xf that had been converted from auto to 5 speed ,,

I've had quite a few with that combo, 2.77 or 2.92 diff with T5

had the XE ute smoking the clutch on a hill start in reverse with 2 motorbikes and heap of firewood scattered between/around them.. (was fine still, that was a heavy duty clutch i always chose thought, 30% heavier than stock so not to crack the pedal box/firewall etc)

2 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

hey i thought of a good question this afo,would the 2.53 diff be good for better burnouts ? like in 1st gear i mean,instead of that sweet spot between 1st and 2nd,just hold it in 1st ?

pretty sure if you've got enough power you'd just start in 2nd or 3rd 

i remember one of My cars would actually stop it doing a burnout on grass even if you held the brakes on hard.