thorne

CB radio

Apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum to post in, please move to correct one if needed.

I'm taking another long-distance journey in the near-future, and I'm seriously considering a CB radio for the panelvan due to the isolation factor. Preferably a 5W, 80ch version, doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles, something functional will do. Unsure where to mount it to be honest (with a towing brake it's getting a little crowded already under the steering column) - although I hear there are "plug and play" units that are essentially removeable and are powered by the cigarette lighter socket - but I'm worried about the UHF aerial. The panelvan has a bullbar with plenty of space for a decent one, but I don't exactly live in a well-do-to area and I fear it's going to be nicked or broken off if it's left outside. Also, I have to park it under a storage locker above the parking space so it can't be too tall anyway.

I know the big 4x4 utes (like the Ranger and F250) can get a roof console installed - perfect place for a CB - and while the panelvan does have the extended roofline, I don't believe they'll fit a panelvan properly, and a bespoke console will be too pricey.

Any ideas? Any feedback welcome.

There a few units now that don't actually need the unit anywhere visible - the display and info and buttons are all on the mic. But these tend to be at the higher end of the market.

GME is probably the best brand, but Oricom and Uniden are also decent.

When it comes to aerials - taller doesn't mean better reception. Go by the db rating. Lower db has circular reception, higher db it becomes more oval. So for hilly mountainous terrain you want around the 4 to 6 db. Long flat open terrain you want 6 or higher.

You can get magnetic base aerials, that might be best for you in terms of easy removal/storage? Downside is having to run a cord each time.

With the bullbar, I'd be inclined to run a extension cord from the CB to the front. Then have the aerial on a pipe clamp type bracket, which would allow fairly easy removal when not using.

Two of the removeable options were these:
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/oricom-plug-and-play-5w-uhf310-radio-pack/573880.html
https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-Category/Shop-our-Full-Ranges-by-Brand-|-Autobarn/Gme/GME-5-Watt-Super-Compact-UHF-CB-Radio---Plug-'n'-Play-Kit---TX3120SPNP/p/ME24221
Pictures show magnetically-mounted aerial on the roof of the car, mounted from suction cap on the windscreen, powered from cigarette lighter socket.

I'm sure the aerial won't have much coverage, but it will on the top of the car (instead of at the front mounted on the bull-bar) and it's removeable, I can put up with the interior cabling.

On 8/23/2022 at 9:00 PM, Mr Polson said:

With the bullbar, I'd be inclined to run a extension cord from the CB to the front. Then have the aerial on a pipe clamp type bracket, which would allow fairly easy removal when not using.

This is a great idea! A decent aerial is a must for remote driving, but unnecessary for urban trips, and this sounds like an effective compromise. I must investigate this further!

Two of the removeable options were these:
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/oricom-plug-and-play-5w-uhf310-radio-pack/573880.html
https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-Category/Shop-our-Full-Ranges-by-Brand-|-Autobarn/Gme/GME-5-Watt-Super-Compact-UHF-CB-Radio---Plug-'n'-Play-Kit---TX3120SPNP/p/ME24221
Pictures show magnetically-mounted aerial on the roof of the car, mounted from suction cap on the windscreen, powered from cigarette lighter socket.

I'm sure the aerial won't have much coverage, but it will on the top of the car (instead of at the front mounted on the bull-bar) and it's removeable, I can put up with the interior cabling.

This is a great idea! A decent aerial is a must for remote driving, but unnecessary for urban trips, and this sounds like an effective compromise. I must investigate this further!
Aerials actually work best when at the centre of a flat plain - middle of the roof is ideal. It somewhat bounces the signal off the roof of the car.

Don't be caught out with physically larger meaning better range, with CB it almost all comes down to the dB rating.

Pretty sure Repco has a sale on UHF this weekend too but not 100% if it includes aerials

On 8/26/2022 at 5:34 PM, Mr Polson said:

Pretty sure Repco has a sale on UHF this weekend too emoji6.png but not 100% if it includes aerials

Looks like I'm going shopping tomorrow. emoji6.png