NZXD

The first Windsor Thread.

Right, I have thought about doing a Windsor thread for a bit, and now that I actually have something to write about its a good time.

There aren't to many X series (XD- XF) on here that are running Windsor's, that I have read about. 

I have an AU3 XR 302 roller block std stroke, 60cc edlebrock alloy heads, rpm manifold, 600cfm quick fuel carb, hurricane headers, Mallory ignition, F303 cam, roller rockers, Gilmour drives, zero decked block and all balanced, apart from block, crank and rods, its all brand new.

Since reading other threads such as Slydogs and pro250s with the NA and boost builds, I feel that I need to redo my combo.

I have looked at the 331 stroker, going to bigger AFR 185 heads, more comp, cam and induction OR keeping the 302 and putting boost through it and converting back to EFI as I still have all the bits n pieces.

Potential budget of an extra 5k.

Any thoughts.

ive just bought a 302 windsor for mine ,ive had alot of clevos, spent big money on them ,and they go hard ,but there fooking heavy ,a little windsor is much lighter and parts are more readily available 

gt40 heads add afew ponies 

Personally I'd go for the 331 over a 347, taller piston leads to longer engine life, problem is with a roller block if you start making more than 550 HP or want to spin it past 7000 rpm most factory blocks won't last before long before they call it quits although occasionally you will find one that will, what sort of power are you chasing?<br />

ive just bought a 302 windsor for mine ,ive had alot of clevos, spent big money on them ,and they go hard ,but there fooking heavy ,a little windsor is much lighter and parts are more readily available

gt40 heads add afew ponies

I still have the au gt40p heads sitting in the shed, the first mod was the alloy edlebrock heads.

This weighs less than a cast iron head xflow with all the alloy bits.

Personally I'd go for the 331 over a 347, taller piston leads to longer engine life, problem is with a roller block if you start making more than 550 HP or want to spin it past 7000 rpm most factory blocks won't last before long before they call it quits although occasionally you will find one that will, what sort of power are you chasing?<br />

I think I will need to keep the factory block as an after market one will suck half my budget, so that limits power, not keen on 347 due to rod angle at bottom of stroke, so 331 would be the most and to get over 500 HP with those cubes makes it pretty angry. I think 450 would be enough in a light xd.

So a bit of internet research on the American 5.0 mustang forums shows that with a 331 stroker, afr 185 heads, hyd roller cam around the 580 lift and 240@50 will get you into the 350rwhp territory in the factory block.

Another idea is this:

http://www.holley.com/types/Small%20Block%20Ford%20-%20174%20Series.asp

The yanks have tested it and based on a 302, 170cc alloy heads (no further description), 264 cam (again no full description) and 750 carb plus 6.6psi made 490hp.

Landed in NZ from Summit is $3600nz, plus taxes being 15%.