Server maintenance Read more... ×
Aussieyobbo16

issue with dual fuel xg

ive got a dual fuel xg ute fitted with an 85 litre usable tank. first issue is it wont tart on lpg, it has to be started on petrol then manually switched to lpg. second issue is its dreadful economy, its running about 22l/100km on petrol and closer to 37l/100km on gas. does anyone know what i can do to solve this problem or where abouts in gippsland or melbourne areas i can take it to get a decent tune done. 

no (or stuck) thermostat? running cold riches up the mixture like a choke.
O2 sensor? 
blocked air filter.. that's all i've got.  

[mention=244]gerg[/mention] would be My first to ask

There’s no thermostat. Air filters probably due for replacement having done 20k km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Aussieyobbo16 said:

There’s no thermostat. Air filters probably due for replacement having done 20k km.

fit a thermostat.. they need them. it's like driving with the choke on full.. 
coolant temp when cold, dictates to add more fuel

Makes sense. There wasn’t a thermostat in it when I bought it. I just left it cos I’ve seen scenarios where older cars run better without the thermostat and I assumed that was the case with this particular one

definitely would be the first thing i'd change.

for the gas not starting, next time try tipping a HOT (not boiling but recently boiled) kettle of water over the gas converter.. (softens up the gummy build up they can get) if it starts then.. it needs cleaning(or replacing due to diaphrams dry and old)

when My diesel gemini air filter is dirty(has a washable oiled unifilter sponge type now) it uses 20% more fuel and blows smoke higher in the revs.. clean filter doesn't blow smoke. amazing to Me.

oh, 
and when i mention Thermostat.. there's good reason to get a genuine one.  @SPArKy_Dave has probably mentioned it 100 times. but there's been issues with fitting wrong or cheap copies 

when i had an XG, i think it cost $37 from ford. small price to pay compared to fuel out the tail pipe

oh, 
and when i mention Thermostat.. there's good reason to get a genuine one.  [mention=27]SPArKy_Dave[/mention] has probably mentioned it 100 times. but there's been issues with fitting wrong or cheap copies 
when i had an XG, i think it cost $37 from ford.

I was just looking at a tridon one for 25$ from supercheap. Are they a good enough brand or would a ford genuine piece be a better move

7 minutes ago, Aussieyobbo16 said:

I was just looking at a tridon one for 25$ from supercheap. Are they a good enough brand or would a ford genuine piece be a better move

maybe @Mr Polson would know, he works for Repco, but i was told to specifically get a genuine one from Ford, so it would WORK.. which it did.. so i was happy.. (with that side of things) 
(i had so many issues with My XG i sold it as soon as it was running right.. incase it broke down again.. and i had to fix something else.)

All good advice from the Deaner... Most common LPG problems are from converters getting a tarry buildup inside; a result of impurities being left behind as the liquid is evaporated into gas.

This instance seems different though. The bad economy on petrol could be from a mixer issue. What kind of mixer do you have: diaphragm or venturi type? If diaphragm, you could have a hole in it, causing the metering piston to stay closed, restricting the flow through the mixer instead of the piston opening with engine load. A high vacuum on the engine side will draw more gas out of the jet and run rich.

In petrol mode, this same restriction to flow makes you put your foot down more and gives the engine more fuel as it thinks its under enrichment. This may explain the bad economy in both modes.

Of course, there could be individual causes for each issue as it's very easy to assume that two problems that occur simultaneously are related. I've been caught out a few times like this.

So the gas could be from a gummed converter and the petrol could be a dicky temp sender or cold running engine (thermostat).

Btw, the "old engines go better without thermostats" thing is a myth. All engines need them, and they provide the correct amount of restriction to build up pressure and prevent cavitation in the water pump. Not running one could make it take ages to warm up in cooler weather, but cause it to overheat in warm weather (due to said cavitation).

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

(i had so many issues with My XG i sold it as soon as it was running right.. incase it broke down again.. and i had to fix something else.)
yeah I feel ya. I’m just about at wits end with mine. Very interesting to have one as a first car.