Mr Polson

XF Ghia Heater Issue

Right, I'm getting sick of freezing in the mornings and nights!!

Got a XF Ghia wagon, and the heater doesn't work. The fan works, and everything else that I can identify (recirc flap, heater warmth/cold controls, etc) all work. The problem is the heater tap doesn't seem to be receiving vacuum. If you manually hold down the heater tap (which looks very new), the heater works brilliantly... But I can't drive along and have the heater tap held down at the same time.

Any ideas on what could cause this? 

Other then the vacuum line not being connected properly, only other thing I can think of is the vacuum line is split?

This is a puzzling one dude! Coming into winter you'll need those heaters!!

the heater tap is open without vacuum connnected, needs vacuum to close the tap, mines on all the time and have no vac lines connected, i have to cable tie the valve closed in summer to stop the coolant heating up my cabin!

also weeps at the hose connection when i cable tie it shut because the pressure at that point, open it again and no leaks as the coolant just flows straight into the heater core and out again.,

Other then the vacuum line not being connected properly, only other thing I can think of is the vacuum line is split?

This is a puzzling one dude! Coming into winter you'll need those heaters!!

Eeek I hope not... That would be dash out to try and fix... I can't hear any vacuum leaks (ute got one when I first put Ghia dash in and it was clearly auidable).

Just being in Tassie in general you need the heater!!

the heater tap is open without vacuum connnected, needs vacuum to close the tap, mines on all the time and have no vac lines connected, i have to cable tie the valve closed in summer to stop the coolant heating up my cabin!

Wait, so when the valve is up, the heater tap is open? That means it a different issue somehow?

So pushing the valve thing down closes the heater tap? Why does that make my heater work then?

Eeek I hope not... That would be dash out to try and fix... I can't hear any vacuum leaks (ute got one when I first put Ghia dash in and it was clearly auidable).

Just being in Tassie in general you need the heater!!

Wait, so when the valve is up, the heater tap is open? That means it a different issue somehow?

So pushing the valve thing down closes the heater tap? Why does that make my heater work then?

Yep, im running the zl/xf ghia heater box too.

When i push the valve in it closes. No idea.

I think we could devise a way to get it through without pulling the dash out dude ;)

agreed there is so much room in them ghia and fairlane dashes!

but i also doubt you would have a vac leak after the plug them hoses are real strong and hard to split! unless you scissors!

Okay, figure this out.

Cable tied the tap so the valve is down (closed??).

Go for a drive, heater works. By logic, having the valve/tap tied I should only get hot or cold air. Change temp with the heater control pod, cold air. Change back to hot. Hot air. Go figure.

Okay, figure this out.

Cable tied the tap so the valve is down (closed??).

Go for a drive, heater works. By logic, having the valve/tap tied I should only get hot or cold air. Change temp with the heater control pod, cold air. Change back to hot. Hot air. Go figure.

Weird. Just like the windows. Sounds like youve kind of fixed it for the minute anyway?

could it be possible the water direction through the tap is wrong?  never tried reversing it but it has an arrow on it..

Dads old car he used to have a ball valve(plumbing tap) used to turn it off in summer, and on in winter.. regulate the temp by fan speed and the window lol.. i find i use the window and heater a bit too..

yeah thats what i did you also have to have the air con selection on hot or it wont blow hot air.

As in the temp control on the heater pod? Yeah I was surprised it still allows me to choose between hot and cold... would've thought it'd be stuck on hot now?

Weird. Just like the windows. Sounds like youve kind of fixed it for the minute anyway?

I'm wondering what else in this car could be weird... Yep fixed for now.

The solenoid near the relays to the left of the steering column might be stuffed.

What would happen if they were stuffed? Would've thought nothing would happen then?

could it be possible the water direction through the tap is wrong?  never tried reversing it but it has an arrow on it..

Dads old car he used to have a ball valve(plumbing tap) used to turn it off in summer, and on in winter.. regulate the temp by fan speed and the window lol.. i find i use the window and heater a bit too..

As in turn the tap around or swap which heater pipe it goes onto? That was one thought, tap is in the right way (arrow points towards heater box). Can't tell if it runs into the correct pipe or not, can't compare to the ute as the ute runs into the A/C core and will work either way.

As in turn the tap around or swap which heater pipe it goes onto? That was one thought, tap is in the right way (arrow points towards heater box). Can't tell if it runs into the correct pipe or not, can't compare to the ute as the ute runs into the A/C core and will work either way.

follow the hoses..

the one that goes to the water pump is the return. to the other is the supply from the head..

flipping it on the same hose would check that theory.... it has an arrow on it for a reason. but it should be pointing towards the heater box on the supply hose ideally.. to stop hot water going through in summer.

follow the hoses..

the one that goes to the water pump is the return. to the other is the supply from the head..

flipping it on the same hose would check that theory.... it has an arrow on it for a reason. but it should be pointing towards the heater box on the supply hose ideally.. to stop hot water going through in summer.

Heater tap is in one from the head. 

What I meant was, does it matter where each goes in relation to the heater box? Can the hose from the head go on either left or right pipe, or does that affect the heater operation?

Heater tap is in one from the head. 

What I meant was, does it matter where each goes in relation to the heater box? Can the hose from the head go on either left or right pipe, or does that affect the heater operation?

nah the heater core is just something air passes through that gets heated by water..  so i usually arrange the hoses through it the best fit for the space(always tight with LPG hoses in that area)

by the sounds of it, it should just work.... its being an XF(testing your patience lol)

Doesn't the heater tap have a cad plated cylinder on it? If so, this is the problem. Inside is a diaphragm, if it splits, heater will not operate. New heater tap should fix it.

BBS XE, on 07 May 2013 - 9:31 PM, said:snapback.png

Have you checked for vacuum at the hose? Should be able to feel it with your finger when the switch is on.

Nah, lol, didn't even think of that.

The light green vacuum hose should not have vacuum on it when the heater is on.

It will have vacuum when the heater is off, this will close the heater tap to stop hot water getting to the heater core.

On an XF Ghia, ZL or FE, the vacuum is controled by a solenoid valve that switches the vacuum to the heater tap (light green) vacuum hose.

The solenoid is near the relays to the left of the steering column, it should click when the temperatere control lever is coming to the full blue section, not the blended red/blue, the control lever also operates the blend door and thermostat via an electric motor.

On a GL,S or Fairmont it is not the same the vacuum is controled by the temperature control directly, and the blend door and thermostat are control via a cable from the temp control.