CHESTNUTXE

WINDSOR SMALLBLOCK TALK

The AU spec Windsor’s are a better base, the GT40p head isn’t to bad for a factory iron head and flow similar to a stock Cleveland head in flow numbers. They arent too difficult to get moving along with a cam change, the 99 Fairlane will have the factory 175kw, which with a cam change and headers will bump it right up to around 210-220kw. The E303 cam will see that easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah every engine i rebuild sells quite easy i dont ask much for it ,im planing on buying the 2nd 302 efi au 1999 engine down the wrecker as soon as this is sold it should have the gt40p heads which will give me a better base to start with,then take it from there i have been reading about the 331 stroker kit ,it doesnt need any block mods and drops straight in not bad for 990 us dollars forged pistons and scat crank n rods

I’ve seen a few 331w built with AFR 185 heads and decent cam and yeah they really turn on.
But with the GT40p heads it won’t go as good as it should, they are a mild factory head suited to a 302 at best. Will just make 302 power lower in the rpm range.

yeah a cam ,some new lifters and bolt on roller rockers and probly a edelbrock air gap in black ,the thing is this engine only has about 90000ks on it i think i posted the car some months ago in another thread it was mint and the interior got sold to someone in perth ,a stupid p plater the guys grandson i think lost control of it and hit a guard rail on the front lrft hand side but all else was verrrrrrrrrry good.

yeah a cam ,some new lifters and bolt on roller rockers and probly a edelbrock air gap in black ,the thing is this engine only has about 90000ks on it i think i posted the car some months ago in another thread it was mint and the interior got sold to someone in perth ,a stupid p plater the guys grandson i think lost control of it and hit a guard rail on the front lrft hand side but all else was verrrrrrrrrry good.

What would you put it in?

dont no ,im also looking for a 351w engine and finding it hard to source one,early or late.

I have a 351w block sitting in NZ...just an old block that was 40 over.

12 hours ago, Valvebouncer said:

Not the one I did. I had to replace them any way as some fuckwit previous mechanic lost one bolt and replaced it with a normal bolt.

Use holden head stud sealant, it’s the best stuff and the only decent thing to ever wear a holden badge.

Yeah I didn't think they had Torque to yield bolts?

The ones on the 302 I'm doing atm, don't look like single use bolts.

brings back the question is it eeven worth building a std stroke 351w as the 302w roller block is readily available with a stroker kit will bring nearly the same ice cubes:unsure:

Like we know it has bigger head bolts a wider manifold,and probly weighs a bit more,but im still on the learning curve with these engines as ive always been a clevo person,but things seem to have swung towards the windsor lateley because i havent been able to find any more clevos around here for about a year,i had a really nice std bore xc block about a year ago and at the time was head deep in my crossflow but now thats finished im keen for the windsor.

Yeah I didn't think they had Torque to yield bolts?
The ones on the 302 I'm doing atm, don't look like single use bolts.

I’m not sure about the older flat tappet Windsor’s, but the E series roller onwards did. I went with ARP when I did my windsor, wasn’t that much more expensive and are reusable.

brings back the question is it eeven worth building a std stroke 351w as the 302w roller block is readily available with a stroker kit will bring nearly the same ice cubes:unsure:

I probably wouldn’t bother building a std stroke 351w, doesn’t really cost you that much more to do a stroker than it would on a 302, and you could go right out to 408 cubes.

Like we know it has bigger head bolts a wider manifold,and probly weighs a bit more,but im still on the learning curve with these engines as ive always been a clevo person,but things seem to have swung towards the windsor lateley because i havent been able to find any more clevos around here for about a year,i had a really nice std bore xc block about a year ago and at the time was head deep in my crossflow but now thats finished im keen for the windsor.

I’m a huge fan of the windsor, most falcon guys are clevo fans, and I think the windsor is sort of like an underdog down this side of the world.

Head selection was pretty shit until alloys came about at an affordable price, so you can see why Cleveland’s were easy to get power from.

But put a 302c and 302w std for std against each other and see who comes out on top. Not that anyone really has a std motor these days.

back in the 80s i was reading books like pat gnal ford performance book the yellow orange colourd one and in the performance world at the time the 351w was a dog,and it mentions a the 4v clevo in detail will run rings around a windsor,but now adays its the oppisite ,a stroked windsor is now making 930hp on pump 98 .

I got hooked on Windsor’s back in 1998 when a mate of mine brought an XW with a factory 302w, had headers and a 4 barrel carb, apart from that it was pretty stock, it revved hard and went really well. Not long after that I got a ED XR8 Sprint, and couldn’t keep up with the XW.

aparently the 1969/70 windsor 351 blocks are the best and yes our xw ones,but finding a std bore block just kicking around is very hard.

Well the 289 I scored turned out to be an XW 302, the block is original bore.

The timing cover came but which seal do i use

Well the 289 I scored turned out to be an XW 302, the block is original bore.

6f689501e139ac2089859e90624b8f70.jpg81cda99e497f4a746661ef6346d59a58.jpg

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Correct 1979 and later 302 whezzer use flange seal installed from front of cover

You need to measure the cover and balancer. If they are the same the top one looks like a normal front seal.

ok i just found out what can be done with the small base circle cam you must use the longer link bar lifters and it can be used in the roller block or early block,the longer lifter takes up the slack for the rockers so i guess i will keep the cam for the next engine and buy the juicy link bar lifters.

ok i just found out what can be done with the small base circle cam you must use the longer link bar lifters and it can be used in the roller block or early block,the longer lifter takes up the slack for the rockers so i guess i will keep the cam for the next engine and buy the juicy link bar lifters.
I was just down the wreckers check this old windsor hrad35b62d25cc3a50ea55c8d966da5662ba.jpg21db8a8a50028d9caa0d5ffc5ff1252b.jpg

Here is my 1999 ltd 5.0 i checked the heads yep it has the 4 casting bars on the back should be gt40p heads we will see

I was just down the wreckers check this old windsor hrad35b62d25cc3a50ea55c8d966da5662ba.jpg21db8a8a50028d9caa0d5ffc5ff1252b.jpg

6380eec7722594cadda85c5c822c8283.jpg