uterus

painting

ok it seems i have run into a little trouble painting up my panel and door on my ute :( im using enamel high gloss and i prepped up i was planning on using the white paint  as undercoat, i sprayed first coat on front drivers panel and drivers door both off the ute but when i did you can see the paint had what appears to be dimples in it pretty much all over it and on the door what looks like to be round circle dimples where the paint didnt want to cover it??? and on the pannel it looks like it wanted to bubble off towards the bottom? im stumped. any help would be apreciated.

What sort of paint did you use? You say high gloss enamel? Excuse my ignorance is that acrylic auto paint?

Most issues with bubbling and poor adhesion are a result of preparation eg not primed correctly, rubbed back correctly or surface contaminants like grease or silicants. 

Did you wash the surface with wax and grease remover first?

What was the weather like? 

Did you spray with a gun or cans?

Sorry for all the questions but the answer will be there somewehere!

No thats fine the paint is just standard enamel not acrylic i used my spray gun and i did rub it back and wipe down with thinners before i painted but it was dark when i painted it and quite cold.

The paint doe's need a certain heat range to cure and perhaps the thinners was mixed too heavy so the paint is resisting going off ATM?

I have found Acrylics to need warmer temps to be laid on than 2 pac.Like about 18-20 degrees min where as 2 pac can go on down to about 12 degrees.  

I also always use 2pac as the others just plain never match up and the outcome is always better with 2pac.

I also always use 2pac as the others just plain never match up and the outcome is always better with 2pac.

Do you spray it at home? In town or rural?  What precautions do you take? I'd like to give 2K a shot at home but are a little concerned about OH&S stuff. Sorry for the thread hijack......

Looks like you've got a surface contamination Wayne. Did you wet rub the panels before you painted them? If you haven't used a clean bucket (washed with warm soapy water) you can pick up very fine contaminants from the bucket/water itself and rub them into the surface you are prepping and no matter how much you wipe them with prepsol/thinners they will always end up looking like this.

I'm on my phone so can't really see the bubble effect properly, but from what you've described it sounds like the thinners isn't flashing off quickly enough and it is eating into the paint underneath and causing the effect you describe.

The fix for both problems is to wait until the paint is dry and give them another hard block back (remember to clean the bucket thoroughly and use a fresh bit of sandpaper), give them a very light wipe with thinners (fresh clean rag) and then get a can of etch primer and go over where you have rubbed through to the original paint. That will seal up any potential fry up points so when you paint again it shouldn't happen.

Slydog touches on a good point as well, environment, if it's not warm enough when you're painting the thinners/reducer you are using in the paint won't flash off quick enough and will eat itself into the surface and always cause you some kind of problem. If you are painting in anything under 15 degrees you should double, or even triple, your waiting time between coats or at the least hitting each panel with a heat gun or hair dryer to flash off that thinners so it doesn't have time to etch itself into the panel.

I'd like to give 2K a shot at home but are a little concerned about OH&S stuff.

OH&S minimum = organic canister on a half face mask and gloves (ansell latex gloves from the supermarket do the job).

Totally illegal to spray a car at home in your garage or on your property in every State & Territory of Australia if you live in a built up area. Councils don't approve of the dust and fumes that can affect your neighbours.

If you're on acreage I think the rule still applies but most councils are a but more chilled as they realise farmers need to paint machinery and such to protect them from the elements.

little pinn holes or dimples could be fish eyes as we call them or is your paint thinned enough, you should be using a yellow or similar base coat to cover your repairs ,this way youl use a lot less top coat colour as well

just a bit of info for all ,they make an Acrylic,Enamel ,i use it on the trucks i paint or farm stuff ,you use 2 pak thinners and hardner and its touch dry in 30 mins with a glass like shine  

ok thankyou to everyone rob, glenn, gav, campo, jamie247, revhead i didnt touch the panel or door today as i broke my compressor i snapped the brass fitting that goes into the tank and cant get it out but i went to the tip shop and picked up a bigger one for $10 needs a new plug for oil top to stop it blowing out the top when running anyway it makes sence that the bucket wasnt clean as it was not clean and the bit of wet and dry was not new i used it the other week to rub back a vs commodore ute panel that had metallic on it so yes the contamination makes sence and there was plenty of dew last night also although i did have heat lamps i dont think they were helping much. and i will get some yellow primer if possible to get and the thinners eating into the underpaint that looks like what it did i used 3 parts paint 1.5 parts thinners so yes there was a bit and it was 13 degrees last night so that defintly didnt help me.

ok just a quick update on this i have wet and dried the panel and door down brand new bucket and wet and dry and just sprayed them with etch primer and i will try again.

ok just a quick update on this i have wet and dried the panel and door down brand new bucket and wet and dry and just sprayed them with etch primer and i will try again.

Good luck dude, gotta say the way you asked for advice and took on board what the guys said was great! That's how a forum should work, no keyboard warrior shit, hope it all works out for you!

thanks guys it has worked a treat on the door and the panel they look fantastic. and revhead its bright lemon i like to be a little diffrent when it comes to my paint on cars its soo bloody bright it will most definetly stand out when i get around to doing the rest of the car :) and i did the etch primer in a plain grey and went over that it seemed to work really good the problem i seemed to have last week i coudnt see the yellow blending over the white properly but on the grey i could. must be getting old lol. i will upload some pics in about an hour.

and Mikgan

i love to get advice and give advice when i know i can help also :)

lol luckily thats just where i was wet and drying it will hose off with a bit of degreaser and a good scrub :D