Demmo

xg fuel pump

5 posts in this topic

hope someone can help  before I put a match to it   ok over the last week or so the xg would hesitate /not respond on quick acceleration  and has slowly got worse. yesterday it started coughing  missing and would not build up revs  it would cut out  then crank over fire and stall as if out of petrol  it had half a tank at the time now it wont start at all. 

ok have checked all plugs leads ect and have spark at all cylinders

put pressure gauge in fuel line an this seem to be hit an miss pressure nill to about 10 psi

so put new fuel pump (only) and inline filter on still no fuel to rail  tried a second pump complete from the outback that works  same thing

when you turn key on both the pumps whine an then stop  now if the fuel line is removed at the tank I only get a small amount of fuel out each time

so do these fuel pumps need some sought of back pressure to function or would it be possible that the computer lowers the voltage so pump speed is reduced /or increases voltage and I have f  rked 2 fuel pumps

so is it possible to hotwire the pump to see if it increases the amount of fuel        any suggestions/ideas what it could be    will be appreciated

thanks Demmo

you can hotwire the pump either directly, or by bridging the fat connectors when you remove the relay(green one near brake booster)  

the reason it only puts a small amount of fuel out is for safety(aka, smash into a tree, motor stalls so pump cuts out..less risk of fire) 

it is likely to be a faulty relay(fuel pump relay) but you should be able to check by hotwiring the pump.. i had this issue with My XG was a combination of relay, wiring, ignition switch and fuel pump.. 

otherwise, @Outback Jack or @SPArKy_Dave probably have another 10 things to check? good luck

thanks for reply   I have 2 grey relays next to the booster so will try swapping them around.   I think someone has played there before as the wires have push on spades  connected straight to each relay an not into a black Bakelite holder like the relays next to battery    anyway will go an re read your posts on your ute thanks again

cheers Demmo

Outback Jack likes this

Dont over think it... XG Electrical systems are very simple.
It could be a fault fuel pressure reg, a faulty relay, or a faulty smart lock module. Those are the three things I'd be going after.

Eliminate the fuel pressure reg and pump, by pulling the relay and hotwiring the pump.
(whilst watching a fuel pressure gauge)

If you can force the pump to run good, then go after either the relay, or the Smart lock module.

Outback Jack likes this