CHESTNUTXE

single rail 6 to 8cyl

Guy's i need to no is this going to work or do i just go the t5 gearbox,i have 3 single rails 1 x xf,2 x xe 4.1 carby,i assume they have around the 3.50 first gear,is this going to work with a mild 351c or should i look for a earlier single rail with the 3.08 or 2.82 first gear ?,i can get my hands on a t5 from a xg that has 3.25 first,i still have to buy a aftermarket bellhousing for the conversion,and want to get it right,i have 2.92 gears and both the banana crossmember and the std one,so can anyone help with info is it ok to run the 6 cyl single rail box behind a v8.

Single rails fine. The v8 has a wider ratio in 1st n second all finish up 1:1. In 4th. Just dont go flat changin through the gears and they live alright. Get new nylon/alluminium bushing for shifter.

You can use the single rail bellhousing on a t5. Get the input shaft snout thing spun down to fit. Drill and tap 3 holes and drill n nut n bolt the 4th on the webbing.

Go t5 if you can get one else single rail will do.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

My single rail clevo bellhousing couldn't take a t5 as the lower bolt holes on the box were below the face of the bell. I used a top loader one and even that needed a bit of work. In box Falcons, the shortest ratio single rails were 3.47:1 first (carby 6), then taller 3.06:1 (302/250 EFI), and ultra-tall 2.46:1 (351). Taller gears, higher torque capacity.

guys im asking what will happen if i put the 3.47 1st gear with the clevo thats all ,not what you did with your t5,i will buy the correct bell when needed,will the 3.47 be to short ?

guys im asking what will happen if i put the 3.47 1st gear with the clevo thats all ,not what you did with your t5,i will buy the correct bell when needed,will the 3.47 be to short ?

I believe I have the short ratio in 1st in my XD, not that I have driven it much but when I have it's not issue, the lumpy Windsor just chugs off the line with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whe I spoke to mal wood some years ago about the t5's as opposed to single rail behind a healthy x flow he said stick with th single rail. It will eat t5's if pushed. I would think that first gear ratio will be fine.

guys im asking what will happen if i put the 3.47 1st gear with the clevo thats all ,not what you did with your t5

I was just giving a response to butcha's advice on bellhousing compatibility. You can take it or leave it.

i will buy the correct bell when needed,will the 3.47 be to short ?

In my opinion, behind a big torquey V8, yes.

gerg in your t5 thread you put your running a early t5 with 3.27's is that right ,what if its 2.92 would that make a huge difference or am i swapping deck chairs on the titanic.

i mentioned in one of your other threads i ran a 6cyl cortina single rail box behind a clevo with standard cam, 2.92 diff.. its fine.

make sure your single rail or T5 is rebuilt or very good or it will die without much effort

if the dellow one is as crap as the one BGDAV had from dellows on his T56 you dont want it.. (fucked his box up in less than 500km and they didn't even acknowledge the issue... Mal Wood rectified it)

i'd use a single rail bell as mentioned or a CRS one personally (or top loader as Gerg said perhaps.)
heres one tutorial, on the single rail mods , there will be more with google
http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18759-how-to-fit-a-t5-gearbox-to-a-v8-single-rail-bellhousing/

ok thanks,but i like the weight saved by the aftermarket single rail bellhousing,im going out to the garage and taking a look at the tags on the rails.

i like the cast iron bell and gearbox survival rather than broken boxes due to misalignment issues when using Dellow bells..

i understand the 10kg weight saving though,. put 10 litres less in the fuel tank

the one in the garage is 0503-039 which i guess is the 3.47 1st,the tag is missing off the other 1,and i just learnt that the efi  xe 4.1 has the 3.06 first gear,and possibly 84-85 pre unleaded xf's.

bahhhaaaaaaaaaaa im talking about the single rail bell in alloy,not sure who makes em but all the gt shops sell em

I used an alloy one from one of the GT shops, has the top loader and single rail bolt patterns and is quite light. No fitment issues to date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk