CHESTNUTXE

STD BORE CLEVO BLOCK

I scored another clevo today,i fluked it,just went to the local wreckers and up on the rack there has been this 302c that has been sitting there for some time ,everybody including myself was convinced it was a 040 unusable block and even the owner told me it came out of his ute or van,so just for nowing what it actualy was blew me away when i measured the bore at just under 4.000,the reason everyone thought it was 040 was on the piston it is stamped with a 4 ,my pillowblock also came with pistons like this,so i offerd the yard just a couple of bucks for it and he said its yours,so the xg was launched into loading positon,and the forklift dropped it straight in and i was out of there b4 anyone clicked on it was actualy a gem,it also has the lip for the 4v valves and is a D2AE cast will put more pictures tomorrow.WP_20161028_11_16_18_Pro_zpsvsdsygn0.jpg

i was going to build a 393 or 408 with some CHI OR AFD ALLOYS and the larger valves,but i no the blocks can be lipped at a machine shop,but yeah just thought i had a good score,is it only nescersary to have the lip with large camshaft lift and or size of the valve thom ?

The bore is clearanced for valve size not cam size as the valves travel further toward the center of the cylinder the further they open, most stroker kits use a .030" bore and the valve reliefs will usuall be gone with any more than a 020" over bore, 4v valves are just too big and you end up reducing air flow because the bore wall shrouds the valve, you'll find most aftermarket heads run a valve size between standard and 4v

ok good info ,so thats why i see the notch in std bore blocks (well some of them),i have quite a stash of parts atm so im just gunna keep this block as is until the 302 is finished.