CHESTNUTXE

BORG WARNER GEARS

Well i suppose borg warner just made all these different ratios and ford just choise what for what,over the years with different diff swaps and ratio changes,i have found that if your even considering highway use 3.08 or 2.92 is great with a 1.1 final ratio ,and 5 speed and 4 speed auto boxes have a bit more to choose from.

I took my car for a drive to brisbane on the hwy today and after the diff rebuild it was smooth and much better than before but reving its ass off 110kph with 3.27.s around 2800rpm but quite punchy when hitting the gas and if i had another gear great,but i built the car for just cruising the streets with a few burnouts from time to time and a little bit of drag racing at street meets so the shorter gears are going to suit that app.

My ZL has the lazy 2.77 LSD... So perfect cruise down the highway car, It holds its own round the burbs but a bit more punch off the line would be nice.. Thinking a 2.92 maybe the choice as it has the best of both worlds I guess.... I  want to keep the car resonabley stock as possible due to funds but would like a bit more punch...

I'm building a 9" at the moment, rebuilding and changing to 3.5:1 gears.

I've been told to just do the crush nut on the pinion with the rattle gun and guess it, it'll be good enough, but i think i'd be best off doing it right first time while i have it apart and forgetting about it. Whaddaya reckon Chestnut? A big difference between being done right and not?

Its critical that its all put together under the correct ft/lbs to get the full life out of it,sure you can whack it all together like i did and it works but needed fine adjustments which i couldnt do,loose bearings will get toasted quick if not under correct load,the guys at the diff shop had a belt sander to take half a thousand off a shim thats how close it can get to spot on.

A nice 2.92 xe/xf/ea diff is hard to find these days,plus it will have a few k's on it,for around $600 you can get the diff rebuilt with all new bearings,your lsd re-tourqued,and ready to do the next tour of duty,only problem is most of em are 25 spline axles,except for the v8 xe ones and maybe some others like zk v8 auto.