LJDB

F series xflow and trans?

So I picked another Bargin today. 250 xflow and c series auto out of an f truck. Engine came complete as he was putting a 8 in the effie. He said it had a issue with cylinder 5 and it was common with this year model engine and wasn't sure what auto it was but he was told a c9?

So I'm trying to work out what I've got here. It's a 83da block with a Corty sump and dip stick, hf4 unmarked efi alloy head and standard webber intake and exhaust. How can I work out what trans it is. I brought it for parts and the trans mainly, just putting together some peices for a turbo build.

Left had shifter C4/C9 or right hand shifter BW40, trans cooler lines are opposite side to shifter,

if box has FORD cast into it C4/C9, Borgwaner will have model ID on the on the box

Box had ford on casing and shifter on the left. I made sure it wasn't a bw before I got it. How can I tell the diff from c4/9. I also pulled the head off and it's an open chamber design with the larger exhaust valve. I'm gonna cc it hopefully it's pretty high to help bring comp down. It's also got .20 acl dished pistons with a part number ra4106x I can't find any info on. Some bores are alittle rusty, not sure if a hone will clean them up.

No e2. There's a couple parts numbers that start with d4 and it's got 27a marked in afew places. Also pulled the sump off, the Pistons are mahle. There a mix between the duralite with the oil return slot and the race series I have. There is a oil return slot on one side but is less then a inch long, the dish also looks deeper than the 22cc duralites. Pity there .020 and not .030 like my other block

The bigger dish ACLs are 29cc

run the hone some crazy stuff can clean up just run a set of gauges down the bore to make sure your not going to far, if you don't have a bore guage you can use a Tguage  and  messure off that a cheap set of them will be about $35 and worth there weight in gold

good score on the C4 I got a few last week to can never have to many to smash :D

C4/C9 it's all the same anyway...it's just a C4 auto in pan fill or case fill. Case fill is small Windsor xflow pan fill is Clevo large Windsor. 

So don't get caught up in calling em names just call em a pan or case fill C4 cos if you need parts from a trans shop thats how they will ask you to describe it.

It's case fill, doesn't have any leaks but the trans fluid is new. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing. Il prob be in touch PRO iv got plenty of good bits here but need to peice it all together.

How hard is it to swap Pistons over to another rod and changing rod bolts. Should I leave it for a shop to do. Iv got 3 sets, 1 .040 8cc race on 250 rods with apr bolts that been balance Pistons have some damage. 2 .030 22cc duralite on 3.9 rods and 3 as above .020 Mahle 28cc on 250 rods. The .040 block looks zero deck but 1 bore is alittle dodgy, the .030 is in vgc and this one above if it cleans up ok.

get a shop to do it you can just use the rods there on but balancing it may be a issue but if its boosted you don't have to rev it so you don't have to do it just depends how hard your wanting to push it

Pulled the rest of the motor down. Found 5 lifters mushroomed and camshaft completely fooked. Most bearings showing some cooper and some slight scoring on crank but only no1 exhaust is alittle worrying. Bearings are .010 over.

i have a crank marked 87aa here that's got a 1 peice rear main seal, can that be used with the rope seal block as the cranks alittle different where the seal runs.

Also hada look at the head and it's been machined fairly heavily and has a very low cc. I sat it next to a c1a head I have and is nowhere near as deep as it.

What's a c5? Is it a C4 with lockup converter?

Basically , yes if you were in the U.S that's how they came . I've never seen a L/up on any aussie ones .

They are just an 80's C4 , come in both case and pan fill. There are a few other internal differences, on the outside the front band adjuster is a finer thread than the rear and the cooler threads are 1/4 NPS rather than 1/8 NPS

Some had a funky valve body as well and a slightly deeper pan to accommodate it