CHESTNUTXE

SHEET METAL MANIFOLD

I had this idea while we are talking about webber's,making a custom alloy sheet-metal manifold to accept 3x 2 barrel's or 2 x 500 holley's,or cutting the efi banana manifold and welding 3 x 2 barrel adaptor's,feeding 2 cyl's each ? 

2 x carbies feeding 3 pots each is a better balanced setup than 3 x 2 due to firing order.

Only thing stopping you is time, money and enthusiasm... Sounds like a fine idea

It's an idea that has been floated many times. Lotsa custom work that you would want to be able to do yourself. Then there's linkages etc etc. and it may not even work.

Aussiespeed to a twin four barrel manifold. You could always buy one and put 2, 390 - 4 barrels on that. You'd want to have a serious engine tho

2 x carbies feeding 3 pots each is a better balanced setup than 3 x 2 due to firing order.

Only thing stopping you is time, money and enthusiasm... Sounds like a fine idea

Not if you split em like a ITB set up.It's when you run a common plenum the issue arises. Bud Moore of Nascar/transam race car fame used 2x1050 dominators on little 302 engines but only used 1 runner/1 valve per carb butterfly and soon enough they got banned LOL. 

I still think there's merit in the idea for a alcohol/gas engine but a petrol engine the webers shit all over it in tune-ability and it's not needed.  

Anything is possible when you have money, getting something like this tuned just right still just comes down to money. I personally don't think it would be the best performing setup or worth the money it would cost. The issue I see with this setup on a 6 is the limitations of down draught setup, you are always going to have to turn the fuel and air and maintain even flow into all cylinders. Thats where the side draught webber solves that flow issue, and you get the advantage of each cylinder having it's own supply.

If I was to develop anything I would be looking at 6 strombergs so you can maintain individual runner and shape the runner to suit space and setup. But you still have the pain that is linkages and getting all 6 carbies set exactly the same and tuned to the car.

Yeah that's what I meant sly, as in one carby (and plenum) feeds two cylinders, like an XU1 setup. 3 and 4 cylinders share opposite firing orders (fine) but front and rear carbies see 2-nothing-1 and 5-nothing-6 respectively, meaning some robbing of mixture will occur at some point.

ITB is a whole different animal as you say, but needs big barrels to cope with peak flow. Really the best balanced of them all.

Yes Ryan I agree there's HP there to be found for sure. But you would have the carbs up out of the bonnet with a longish runner like a IDA weber set up so far from a daily but the look and out come would be something. 

A few have done it already on salt lake cars and Hot Rods but TBH no one has done it to any real worthy level on a xflow and yes it would cost big money to do right regardless of what people may type anywhere or here for that matter. Not to mention the engine that is required to warrant such a set up. Big comp big head flow big camshaft big exhaust big ignition big driveline zero shortcuts or it is a waste of time. 

I've thought myself to sleep on many things, one of them is the idea of cutting and shutting 2 Redlines into a dual carb setup (and eliminating the shitty end runners in the process). Would't be optimal balance but would be good for say a gas setup that needs plenum volume and flow.

I've thought myself to sleep on many things, one of them is the idea of cutting and shutting 2 Redlines into a dual carb setup (and eliminating the shitty end runners in the process). Would't be optimal balance but would be good for say a gas setup that needs plenum volume and flow.

Could not agree more on that call. Would be killer for gas fo sho...

Yeah that's what I meant sly, as in one carby (and plenum) feeds two cylinders, like an XU1 setup. 3 and 4 cylinders share opposite firing orders (fine) but front and rear carbies see 2-nothing-1 and 5-nothing-6 respectively, meaning some robbing of mixture will occur at some point.

ITB is a whole different animal as you say, but needs big barrels to cope with peak flow. Really the best balanced of them all.

There's a rod in the states that has a big common/joined plenum with 3 Dorton 500's over a 300 cube chev donk using a cut up LS head.Yes another one...and it has gone over 160mph on the salt in short track testing. Once sorted and ran a few times it will crack 180plus easy from 300 inline cubes. That sounds like bulk fun to me :)

Yeah it was just an idea for my drag motor,i see many v8's with sheetmetal manifolds in drag racing,i also thought about the 6 carby set up ,and make it all stick high up out of the bonnet,as it wont be run on the street.

There's a rod in the states that has a big common/joined plenum with 3 Dorton 500's over a 300 cube chev donk using a cut up LS head.Yes another one...and it has gone over 160mph on the salt in short track testing. Once sorted and ran a few times it will crack 180plus easy from 300 inline cubes. That sounds like bulk fun to me :)

Yeah I seem to remember something like that. Someone's done that on a 300 Ford six too, with the Ls heads, but dunno what it was going into. Freaky how well the Ls heads lined up.

Yeah I seem to remember something like that. Someone's done that on a 300 Ford six too, with the Ls heads, but dunno what it was going into. Freaky how well the Ls heads lined up.

They seem to be popular in salt racers which shows they flow well or have to potential to very easily.But a 300 cube inline with a xflow head be it LS clevo or what ever by design is a inliners wet dream.

This is the big dog in inline NAT ASP 6's...Igor 351 cubes of Chevy inline with the only standard parts been the chev badges which are prob painted on anyway.

Look closely and you will see it's like a 7/8th Jerry Bickell small frame full chassis race car. Park it along side a full size Barretta or whatever the fuck it is and the size difference is obvious.