Sign in to follow this  
scottly

Bonnet release handle strengthening

Hey guys thought I'd post a pic of how I made my bonnet release handle stronger as one of the blokes from Pedders suspension broke mine like 5 years ago. I used a 2 part epoxy masked it up and filled the hollow section until full. I am now wondering if this would work on the handbrake as well!.

9931764A-2507-4BF2-8EC2-A8809E53DE91_zps

C217657B-EB5E-40DE-879F-B1E583A88EBC_zps

Nice job... Got any before shots?

Also Falcons, since the dawn of time and right up till current models, have had issues with stiff bonnet latches... especially if the car's been in a bit of a bingle and the catch is out of alignment.

Box Falcons don't have any adjustment in the latch either. It's a hammer and block of wood job only. You can shim the latch body with washers if that's the direction it needs to go. I know also that if there's any misalignment, the binding causes the moving parts to burr up and become stiff to operate.

You need to lube everything at least once a year. The safety latch is especially prone to seizing.

Sounds like a very minor thing to get excited about but imagine going to pop the hood when something goes wrong at 2am on a Sunday morning in the middle of bum-fuck nowhere, only to have the cable break or something stupid like that. Trust me on that one.

Sorry mate I was I a rush and just wanted to get it in so it would cure quickly, it was basically a massive hollow section where the grey epoxy is now. With this release cable I am using now I will make sure it is moving freely and easily what do you use to lubricate these cables? I've always been gentle as with the handle an never had a problem and then some Num nut yanks on it and brakes it at my cost mother fuker. 2am in the middle of nowhere and a Broken down car would be shit as lol

the best way to make a bonnet cable pull stronger is keep the latch under the bonnet lubricated. there is adjustment in it also(the catch assy). when they work well you can pull the cable with your little finger

same can also be said for the handbrake, the front handbrake cable that goes through the firewall usually lasts about 20yrs.. they fray up and get stiff, lubrication here will also make it amazingly soft to engage..

you cant prevent rough people handling them though. same for door handles, when everything is aligned and lubricated they will never break

Any lube is better than none, even a few drops of engine oil will do ok. I like to use Wynn's Viscotene on cables, as it never evaporates and is about the slipperiest shit I know of. Lanotec is also awesome, especially on any body hinge or latch, as it semi-dries and gets a bit of a crust on the outside which reduces the amount of dust sticking to it. Yet again, another good one I like to use is WD-40 white grease. Also semi-dries and the calcium grease does the work.

Normal WD-40 is shit. You may as well stand there and piss on it for all the good it does. Dries after about 1/2 hour.

Silicon spray is another disappointment on cables. Anything plastic (like cable liners) seems to become even more squeaky after you use that shit. Plastic on plastic? Forget it.

CRC 2.26 gets an honourable mention. It has a small amount of waxy grease in it that leaves a protective film long after the rest evaporates.

Anyway, I digress. Keep on top of these little things and they won't become big things.

i got a free can of lanotec once(half full) didnt like the mess it left, but did work(chain lube comparable)

light machine oil for air tools would be good lubricant if you can be bothered giving it a go.. CRC, RP7 etc are good for freeing everything up. not great at staying lubricated though.