Sign in to follow this  
gerg

MSD clone dizzy pissing oil

It has a vent hole under the pick-up area. I suspect it's from the shaft. It's trickling out of there down to the block where it mounts. I have a feeling it's got something screwy going on with the drive gear, as you can rotate the shaft a good 5 degrees (10 crank) which would explain it backfiring and lacking power lately. It's a very early MSD copy using genuine internals, about 18 years old but done 3/5s of stuff-all work.

Might be a sheared roll pin. I'll rip it out tonight after the monkeys are in bed.

And yes I would like a genuine MSD and there's a whole lot of other things I'd like too.

It has a vent hole under the pick-up area. I suspect it's from the shaft. It's trickling out of there down to the block where it mounts. I have a feeling it's got something screwy going on with the drive gear, as you can rotate the shaft a good 5 degrees (10 crank) which would explain it backfiring and lacking power lately. It's a very early MSD copy using genuine internals, about 18 years old but done 3/5s of stuff-all work.

Might be a sheared roll pin. I'll rip it out tonight after the monkeys are in bed.

And yes I would like a genuine MSD and there's a whole lot of other things I'd like too.

how about a complete rebuild, because the chinese copy stopped driving the oil pump lol ? 

If it stopped driving the oil pump, then it will have stopped driving the spark, and it's a bit hard to fuck an engine when it's not running.

not unless the inner hex in the dizzy rounds off lol

to many nightmare stories around about chinese engine parts man just trying to help haha

Yeah I know I'm the first to rubbish shit parts, I fucken hate cheap.copies, but as far as knock-offs go, this is not a bad piece, uses genuine internals. Possibly made here not sure.

Pulled it out and found roll-pin nearly non-existent, dizzy gear flopping around like a cock in a sock. Not surprised seeing how much oil pressure clevos run. Will strip down tomorrow and check for further damage. Might have gotten away with it for now.

Hex drive looks as new. Decent steel in that bit at least.

Lol yeah that might be funny not so much at the time but maybe a month later or something after I've calmed down

Anyway it's enough oil to piss me off by leaving a spot on the driveway.

Turns out there's no seal inside. Relies purely on gravity to stop oil coming up the shaft, with a sealed ball race at the top end, bronze bush at the bottom.

I think my engine breather is a bit chockers, ends up pushing out oil vapours from the next easiest orifice... The dizzy shaft.

So I knocked a new roll pin in and shoved a thick copper strand of wire inside it to prevent it crushing. I've heard of knocking another smaller roll pin inside the big one for strength but I want it to shear off if it has to, not make more carnage elsewhere.