Ando81

Air shocks xf ute

Hi all, am wondering if anyone can recommend good air shocks for the rear of my ute. It's got air shocks at the moment but 1 has a hole in it and lets the air out of the system within minutes. I need to pump them up now and again to carry extra weight. Am wondering if air shocks or an aftermarket airbag kit would be better.

I've been told that air bags are better for carrying weight as they are made from more heavy duty material. Also, I've got xh xr6 springs in the rear which lets my ute sit a bit lower to the ground at the back so I thought I might be able to run a small amount of air in the bags all the time to keep the ride height level and when I load up the tray I have the ability to lift it up level again. Depending on how much weight I have in the tub of course.

It is pretty high, it doesn't look great that high but it's practical for what I do in it. The airbag kit came with 2 car valves to pump the bags up. I just mounted them either side of the rear number plate so I can either pump them up at the servo or use my 12v compressor to do it outside the car. You can buy an onboard inflation kit to do it from the cabin but I don't think it was worth the extra expense to put one in. I keep a 12v compressor behind my drivers seat for emergencies so I can just take it out when I need to inflate the bags.

Was keen to see one of these kits fitted. I bagged my xf ute using a used kit out of a hilux.

I looked at mounting it where the bump stop is but then I couldn't go as low as I wanted. I sat the bags on the springs just behind the diff, probably not the best spot to fit them but mehhh.

20150906_124043.jpg

Also fitted a tank and pump

temporary_18.jpg

I had considered that option too but my dad used to have a na fairlane with that on it, only downside to it was if an air shock got a leak then the compressor kept running all the time to fill it up. Happened to us on a long road trip once. Thought it was gunna burn out the compressor motor after a while.