Mustardxf

Fucked head bolt hole

Hey guys, Stripped a thread in the head(intake manifold side) brought a helicoil and when I was tapping the thread it got half way and started going of centre. 

Now the hole is not straight, bolt goes in only so far. 

Options I have thought about:
Run with no bolt.

screw the bolt in as much as I can and use washers to fill the gap.

OR I have a bigger heli coil kit here, so i could re-drill it and tap it for a larger thread.

Any ideas?

yeah i have done this before my self , made me so mad to , just use a shorter bolt with a washer for now , do a proper fix later one day when you got the head off , bad idea to try and drill it whilst its still in the car, it wont hurt it running a shorter bolt .

okay thanks for the help!

I lost sleep over it last night and Im still yet to tell dad has he thinks that nothing went wrong. 

didn't help that there wasn't much light when I was doing it. 

Later on when I take it out do you suggest that I go up a bolt size and just re drill it?

With the intake threads, they are 5/16" UNC standard. When they strip they just happen to clean up to the tapping size for 3/8 UNC (same thread as the exhaust bolts), which is what i ended tapping 3 of those threads to after some dodgy mechanic had a go at my first crossy head.

Drilled the hole in the manifold to 10mm and wound the 3/8 tap straight into the threaded hole and job done. Just be sure to get all the ally chips out of the rocker area.