broken-wheel

what's the hotness in rebuilding a dizzy

Looking at rebuilding a couple of dizzy for the crossflow, one XE and one XF both HEI, where do you get the bushes for them? I know when I had to rebuild an EB one Ford had a pack you buy and can easily rebuild them, at that time they had something for the XF as well but that was 10 years ago

What's available now?

I think you will find that the late model bush is the same as XF/XE.  Just make sure you press the oil into them before installation.  Oh and for the XE Dizzy get about 4 bushes as you will be replacing them often. You can try replacing the bush with a needle roller bearing like we have all done before, all to find the chopper wheel still contacts the outside wheel when rpm'd. 

I had a contact up here that had some old stock but even he has run out so I am guessing that genuine, late model will be the only option.

nah no chopper wheel for me both are HEI just wanted to get two and see the difference in the connector. I din't realise the issue i was having was with the chopper wheel hitting....so moved to the HEI ones and i'll see how it goes

looks like he casing is soft so should be easy to machine it to fit a sealed roller bearing 

No real need to convert the HEI or est dizzy to needle roller bearing as the toothed wheel will never hit the magnet - no matter how bad the bush gets.  But if you want to do it for the exercise then all good.

Excuse my ignorance but what does TFI and HEI stand for. Often heard of them mentioned by you blokes and since I haven't owned a cross flow powered falcon in the last 20 years I'm a bit out of touch. LOL. Lost interest in them when the one in my 6 banger efi xe ESP developed an insatiable  appetite for distributor gears and gave me the shits enough to get out of them altogether.

TFI = Thick Film Ignition module. It not only passes the PIP signal to the ECU but also receives the spark out (SPOUT) signal from the ECU.

The TFI also controls dwell.

The TFI module distributors also have a Hall Effect sensor to generate the PIP signal, which is basically an on-off digital signal created for the ECU.

The TFI module distributors also have a Hall Effect sensor to generate the PIP signal, which is basically an on-off digital signal created for the ECU.

correct, this is what i'm about to do now, use the TFI dizzy without the module, i noticed the rotor has a little play, about 2mm, tried a new rotor and still has play, tried all the dizzy's I have and they all have play on the rotor from 2 to 3.5mm, i might have to jam something in the slot to stop the play

I sold my last 6cyl HEI to a friend who used it to mount on top of a Jag XJ40R 4.0L distributor to bypass the Jag ECU which was playing up. Worked perfectly but can't recall it having anymore than 2mm of play. The eights need no more than 1mm before rebuild. Not sure on kits.

HEI is a electronic,like I need a Bosch HEI coil ring a bell ?

TFI uses a Halls Effects DC pickup passing by a reluctor to activate signal passing by a magnet.The HEI in much the same way has a star shaped wheel which offers a much smaller pickup area to trigger the sensor and pass on the signal. The issue with the HEI is the signal starts building before the 2 meet to it's highest value then it tappers off on the back side,plus the HEI wheel is inherently unstable @ higher RPM and suffers form spark scatter terribly. A hall effects sensor like on a TFI or EST dizzy give a fat sine wave on off signal in much more uniform manner which supplies a cleaner logic (5volt) signal.

TFI EST both the same dizzy basically and computer controlled where HEI is vac advance electronic as found in earlier xflows. 

Q would be able to explain it better I'm sure. 

rotational, it's like the plastic rotor is too loose, tried new one same shit, shaft is exactly the same on all 3, i know the rotor play does fuck all but the old chopper wheel one had no play at all but the metal bit it's been eaten past the line

HEI is a electronic,like I need a Bosch HEI coil ring a bell ?

TFI uses a Halls Effects DC pickup passing by a reluctor to activate signal passing by a magnet.The HEI in much the same way has a star shaped wheel which offers a much smaller pickup area to trigger the sensor and pass on the signal. The issue with the HEI is the signal starts building before the 2 meet to it's highest value then it tappers off on the back side,plus the HEI wheel is inherently unstable @ higher RPM and suffers form spark scatter terribly. A hall effects sensor like on a TFI or EST dizzy give a fat sine wave on off signal in much more uniform manner which supplies a cleaner logic (5volt) signal.

TFI EST both the same dizzy basically and computer controlled where HEI is vac advance electronic as found in earlier xflows. 

Q would be able to explain it better I'm sure. 

Q = w/s manual

PIP%20signal_zpsjkvu6amg.png