Mustardxf

Fresh 250 crossflow start up help!

Hey guys I have a freshly rebuilt crossflow with 0hrs run time.

I also have a MSD street fire ignition box, Blaster 3 coil and using a vac advanced dizzy from 85 model xf.

To bed the cam in should I just run it using the standard ignition system? then install the aftermarket system once the motor is run in and running?

I ask this because I don't want to have any problems on the initial start up and would like it to start straight up and not have it sitting there cranking because something isn't going right with the MSD. 

cheer.

Annnnnnnnnd 1min the oil is already running back down. Don't take any ones word for doing anything on a fresh engine and prime the oil pump before you start it.

Don't be lazy just do it right or run the risk.

Get someone to help you,have a timing light ready,hose or watering can ready. Have the engine full of fresh run in oil like joe gibbs stuff and a quality ph for time keeping and video to post up.

Yep as above.  Prime that sucker the day that you are going to fire it.  turn the engine by hand and make sure oil flows from every pushrod BEFORE you try and fire it.  as for ignition systems - I think the street fire will be fine.  lock the timing at 25 odd and away you go.  just don't let that sucker idle.  there is nothing wrong with firing it - checking timing and shutting it down and re-adjust. check timing and fire again and run at 2500.  the main thing is don't let that sucker idle during camshaft run it. 

That and get some camshaft break in lube - comp cams of lucas is fine.  make sure the cooling system is up to it and have a fan to blow some air through the radiator - just to help shit out. 

Good luck

Yep as above.  Prime that sucker the day that you are going to fire it.  turn the engine by hand and make sure oil flows from every pushrod BEFORE you try and fire it.  as for ignition systems - I think the street fire will be fine.  lock the timing at 25 odd and away you go.  just don't let that sucker idle.  there is nothing wrong with firing it - checking timing and shutting it down and re-adjust. check timing and fire again and run at 2500.  the main thing is don't let that sucker idle during camshaft run it. 

That and get some camshaft break in lube - comp cams of lucas is fine.  make sure the cooling system is up to it and have a fan to blow some air through the radiator - just to help shit out. 

Good luck

Always great post by you Ando. 

With the ignition I just thought it would be easier to use the standard ignition just for the run in, incase the street fire doesn't want to work with me on the day. and the thought of just having it sit there cranking doesn't make me feel right aha. just don't want to damage the fresh engine.

Go with the standard ignition then if you are worried but really MSD systems either work or they don't in my experience.  100 times out of 100 it is a dizzy or coil issue that usually gets blamed on the poor old MSD.