RAWDEAL

Later Model Power Steering pump, compatible with an older Power Steering box?

I have converted my XB to run a later 5.0 windsor style power steering pump

over the last ~500ks it has developed a bad whine.. (which is how long i have been running it with the new pump_

before i go putting another pump in, to hopefully fix the problem, i thought i might ask if they are compatible?

I dont really want to put another pump in and ruin that one as well lol

The pump worked fine before i put it in this car

The old C2 style of pump - fitted to the EB-EL windsors, was also fitted to the early X-series with the Kirby/Bishop steering box.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

A power steering pump, basically recirculates hydraulic fluid through a closed system - one half at a high pressure, and the return side, at low pressure.

The high side pressure, can be altered by changing shims in the pressure valve, located in the pump outlet.

The varying pressure, will change the amount of 'assistance' given to help you move the steering gear through it's range.

The old C2 style of pump - fitted to the EB-EL windsors, was also fitted to the early X-series with the Kirby/Bishop steering box.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

A power steering pump, basically recirculates hydraulic fluid through a closed system - one half at a high pressure, and the return side, at low pressure.

The high side pressure, can be altered by changing shims in the pressure valve, located in the pump outlet.

The varying pressure, will change the amount of 'assistance' given to help you move the steering gear through it's range.

I figured the max pressure shouldn't matter of the pump, because it just hits the relief valve anyways  ? Which only happens when the car is at full lock?

The engine was sitting around for about a year before i put it in the car ... maybe because it was empty for so long, the thing just gave up lol

i will change the pump this weekend , and see what happens

I am now running a Ts Astra power steering pump

Using the standard GM oil for now

I havnt taken it for a decent drive yet so i have to see how it goes

I know in the ba on wards the pumps had to use the right oil if not they had a whine (dex III is fine but will whine) but use the ford stuff for it and will go away, So just make sure the standard GM oil is up to the specs

We used Syntrans 75W/85 in ours, BA onwards. I think the thicker fluid has a damping effect but being synthetic, it isn't as "thick" as the equivalent mineral oil.

Castrol also reckons this same oil is good as a heavy-duty substitute for ATF in manual boxes (ie T5s). Might consider that next time I drop the oil out. Always been a bit suss about using ATF in a manual for long-term wear.

We used Syntrans 75W/85 in ours, BA onwards. I think the thicker fluid has a damping effect but being synthetic, it isn't as "thick" as the equivalent mineral oil.

Castrol also reckons this same oil is good as a heavy-duty substitute for ATF in manual boxes (ie T5s). Might consider that next time I drop the oil out. Always been a bit suss about using ATF in a manual for long-term wear.

I just changed out the Syntrans in my 6 speed manual, for a penrite 70/75. it has made the shift feel WORSE . i am prolly gonna do a little experiment and change up to a thicker oil (because the box is worn) . then see what happens

if it makes it even worse ill put syntrans back in it

I figured i would use the GM oil because its what is used in the astra, and it shouldnt stuff up the pump

My xd has had an ls1 pump running the steering box since the conversion 2 years ago. It's still going strong and has the best steering feel of any xseries I've ever owned.

The steering on the XC running the AU pump was awesome and steering feel was great. Will see how the BF pump feels instead. I was going to just stick ATF fuild in it but will that really cause it to whine???

I was going to just stick ATF fuild in it but will that really cause it to whine???

The F424 spec for power steering fluid, is supposedly for EF onwards falcons.

I don't know how it varies from D3, from a technical prespective - although F424 looks a bit thinner IMO.

(almost looks like a thin engine oil.)

The F424 spec for power steering fluid, is supposedly for EF onwards falcons.

I don't know how it varies from D3, from a technical prespective - although F424 looks a bit thinner IMO.

(almost looks like a thin engine oil.)

With the AU pump on SOHC engine mated with XG power steering box and lines i just ran ATF and it ran sweet no whines or issues of any nature, can't see why the BF pump can't do the same. I've got plenty of ATF fluid and i am too much of a tight ass to buy p/s fluid hahaha.

Ive got a ts astra pump and it recommends the thin full syn oil. Not sure if the kirby steering box is gonna like that. did we figure out what oils the steering box will tolerate?

Been talking to a few guys saying the Dex3 is working fine in them. I'll probably be going that way and just monitoring for excessive heat and/or foaming/cavitation.

Ive got a ts astra pump and it recommends the thin full syn oil. Not sure if the kirby steering box is gonna like that. did we figure out what oils the steering box will tolerate?

Been talking to a few guys saying the Dex3 is working fine in them. I'll probably be going that way and just monitoring for excessive heat and/or foaming/cavitation.

Im going to change my oil from dex3 to the standard GM oil , when i relocate the pump

ill have a direct comparison then. i never ended up using the GM oil because it took ages to arrive in the mail and i needed to get it running so i used dex3