HB250

Need help, missing high performance crossflow

Photobucket. Free to sign up to. just upload pictures to photobucket and the click on IMG box which copies link then paste into the text box here. Won't show picture until after you post it

Speaking of which - when are we going to see some photobucket images of your new build you big maaaann???

You know you want to - Oh and it is sort of on topic as it is an extremely High Performance Crossflow - but it wont suffer a miss at High RPM as a certain wizard has waved his wand.

OMG I should not drink so heavily on a Thursday night......

I would rather you not mention waving of wands as keith already thinks badly of me. I suppose I dont think my sedan is anything special as I have only rebuilt someone elses setup. There is nothing new or interesting about the build and the aim is to keep the it as bland as possible. Basically I am putting into practice what I have learnt from the legendary contributors of this awesome site.

Sorry for the hijack, back to talking about a hb torana with a crossflow. Now there is something you dont hear everyday.

Nothing new or interesting - WTF - how about a bargain gumtree head with a minor tickle that flows some great numbers attached to a bottom end that has run low 11's but now with more comp and a different sump and valve springs and and and.....

think your being a bit modest there.   Anyway back to the HB with Gods engine in it. 

Well its running heaps better now and pulling a few more killa wasps so we probably wont hear to much more - maybe just a new and improved ET post.  Yahoo

Ok just my stupid ignorance of the subject, when we talk about chopper wheel, TFI and EST, what are the differences?

My understanding of a chopper wheel is the type with the castlated stamped steel wheel chopping through the IR signal or Hall effect transmitter/receiver. It has the grey plug on the side and has Motorcraft moulded into it. It has no advance mechanism (fixed timing).

Also my understanding is that a reluctor type is the old Bosch solid state one with a 6-point iron wheel passing a fixed outer wheel with 6 internal points that all line up when triggering occurs. It has advance weights and vac advance and has the 4-wire amplifier module screwed down on the side under a metal cover.

Just so we all know which ones we're talking about, is my description if them correct? Is EFI and EST the same with some module differences?

Ok I call the bosch unit with advance the chopper wheel dizzy.  cause it has the stupid wheel that contacts the outside and creates terrible misses in high performance engines.  It provides a magnetic signal and as such if you choose to use one in a performance application with an MSD - which I DO NOT RECOMMEND - you must use the purple and green wires and even if you lock them and use a programmable ignition the problem of the chopper wheel contacting the outside and creating a miss still remains. 

You can re-bush them, roller-ise the bush, replace the bush every three meetings - but you will NEVER and I mean NEVER get over the inherit design flaws of this type of distributor.

The TFI and EST dizzys are both hall effect dizzys and provide a better signal to the MSD.  they are both toothed distributors, where the missing 'teeth' passing by the hall sensor creates the signal.  This means that even at high rpm you will not have misses as there is nothing to create contact like the chopper wheel style dizzy.

BOTH the TFI and EST dizzys suffer from spark scatter at high rpm but you will not notice it as a miss - you will just not reach the high power levels that you would if you were using a good crank trigger.

Crank Trigger is really the ultimate in high performance engines that are revved hard consistently.  They are overkill on a streeter but any really serious high comp, high rpm engine would benefit from one.  I know that they make over 10hp difference as a minimum and they can make more - but more importantly they make for a much happier engine.  Oh and they are magnetic so you need to use the purple and green wires on an MSD.

Ok thanks Ando that clears it up then. Those "chopper wheel" ones (reluctor) were fairly reliable in the day but modern repro ones are rubbish. Old ones will be... Well old.

For the record, my old man's XF had dramas with its Hall effect dizzy: the teeth flung out over time and wore away the sensor, creating all sorts of shit running.

Is the spark scatter caused by harmonics or rotor phasing?

Agreed on the crank trigger, even some factory donks have had them for over 20 years now

The diff would nearly double the weight of the car. Im sure if you sold off the 9inch it would fully fund a built borg warner. Just depends on ratio's your running in 9inch as borgy has a much more limited range of availabe ratios. Borgy ratios are 2.92 3.08 3.23 3.27 3.45 3.7 3.9 4.11 and maybe 4.3, the shorter gears are from nissan pintara and skyline. borg warner is 4pinion 28 spline like 9inch and 31 spline axles are available for borgy. Sorry if you already knew this info

Ok thanks Ando that clears it up then. Those "chopper wheel" ones (reluctor) were fairly reliable in the day but modern repro ones are rubbish. Old ones will be... Well old.

For the record, my old man's XF had dramas with its Hall effect dizzy: the teeth flung out over time and wore away the sensor, creating all sorts of shit running.

Is the spark scatter caused by harmonics or rotor phasing?

Agreed on the crank trigger, even some factory donks have had them for over 20 years now

Agreed Gerg but I have re-bushed original ones making them new again and they all still suffer the same fate.

Interesting to hear about your dads failure on the hall effect - never had that happen and I have spun those things to stupid rpm for long periods. One to watch now...

Harmonics causes scatter as best as I can work out as 'phased' dizzys still suffer and crank trigger stops it dead.

Lol i do know all the above info ;) been racing offroad and drag for a very long time now :) thankyou tho. Yes a borgearwarner would suit it to the ground. However, once this car runs its numbers it will be for sale :) lol

Did someone say Hilux diff. 30 spline - bullet proof and stupid ratio choice - oh and unbreakable.

The poor man's 9-inch!

Just don't expect the LSD to work after 10,000 ks, even a workmate who likes Toyotas says they're rubbish.