gerg

Highway Max Remoulds

I've read a bit about these and they seem like a great deal. Now before anyone shoots me down for mentioning the word "Remould", i might point out some positives that i can see.

- this brand is Aussie made

- they are used by many track day racers because of the soft compound and low price

- the mob that makes these is the same one that does coloured smoke burnout tyres.

- they're 50 bucks each for the size i want

- They're a much more environmentally friendly option than buying and importing new tyres

- They're H- rated (210 km/h) and load rated at 94 (670 kg).

Now the possible negatives:

- being secondhand, the casing has the possibility of being damaged beyond what is visible when inspected

- only 2 tread patterns available

- They're a soft compound, so wear sooner

- The re-moulding process heats the casing to 160 deg (too hot?)

- is insurance affected?

- Can't find anyone online that says they sell them in Sydney (only greater Melbourne through the branches of Highway Tyres.)

I'd like to know if anyone has used them and had good/bad experience with this brand

Cheers!

after having remoulds and retreads let go in the past damaging panels plus the faster wear i'd only consider them for a car doing very little kms and non highway speeds(ones i had were rated at 140kmh though)

new or near new used tyres are better value to Me

Sometimes having a softer compound can be a win.... specially hills driving....

The main reason I used to buy them of course was they were cheap and once low cloud activity was created just chuck on another one....

Now I drive umm errr a bit more sensible I buy cleanskins

Caps are cold-bonded to the carcass, whereas remoulds are done in a similar process to new tyres. They can even use a copy of an existing mould for a new tyre.

I'm a truck mechanic and have seen a lot of caps and no failures on-road, only maybe one or two bubbling up on initial inflation (manufacturing fault).

If the process is different to caps and its all good then why not. I know first hand that a particular racer/burnout crew use this sort of thing on their burnout cars as it is SO much cheaper. So if the burnout tyres dont fail during a show they must be pretty good.

I have always thought it was heat build up and/or the manufacturing process that causes the problems with caps as they grind the tyres down to then put the tread back on. The only tyre I have ever blown on a car was a cap.

That video looks pretty close to the way a tyre is made in the first place just the last few steps. So long as the tyre doesnt wear out stupid quick and therefore not worth the savings I cant see what the problem is. In fact I would rather that process in Australia than paying full price for a brand name tyre which is made in china anyway which may fail because of the lack of quaility control.

Used them a couple years back on a commodore. Gripped great when new, very tall tread so they were decent in the wet. Until 6 or so months later, a bit of wear and tear made them much less grippy.

Not sure if I would use them on the roads these days, I actually care about the cars I drive now.