XFChris

Crossflow mild build, need advice

Also on what wagoon said, the stock rotating assembly is good, the street stock engine has stock crank and rods with arp rod bolts with no balancing, stock harmonic balancer and stock rockers. It gets spun to 6000 lap after lap without a failure, if it's put together nicely and tuned well they last fine.

Stock springs will work with the 208deg cam, unless they are screwed. Will rarely see over 4,000rpm anyway. This is a very tame build which will be used for towing.

Stock bottom end will also be fine and won't need balancing. Crank possibly doesn't even need machining. Last 250 I did both the bores and crank were well within spec (likely a low k engine, not sure of its history) and had no appreciable marks.

Easy to get carried away with unnecessary add-ons and it is worth checking things first.

Too much emphasis on "built properly" for an engine that sits at 2,500rpm or less most of the time. It should cost the same to build a lazy daily as a screamer, but it will if you don't know what is ok and what is not.

Yeah have to agree with you there Sean...but again this argument is 100 years old and will still be going while ever there is oil fuel and these old shit boxes around to play with.

After all is said and done what you never see @ the end of threads is a actual engine. 

Don't know if I agree with stock springs being okay in any application.  this comment can lead to the impression that you can just leave the unknown quality factory valve springs in place and away you go. 

These engines are getting seriously on a bit now - yes some may have been replaced along the way - but who knows unless you actually check the tension of the springs. 

At the very least throw a new set of 'stock' springs in it but in reality why wouldn't you just throw in a good spring like an isky 235d and set them at 95 on the seat and never ever worry about valve springs again.  This way if you decide to up the ante a bit you don't ever have to fork out for springs up to .580" lift.

Towing demands reliability - reliability comes from using good parts and correct tolerances.  Sure as shit is good for the garden - the one part you skimp on will be the one that bites you in the arse. 

I'm with you Sly - less talk - more engine building - which reminds me I have a sump to build - see ya.

My apologies matt - I missed the 'unless they are screwed' bit. 

Problem is a lot of people don't have access to spring tester and getting a shop that actually gives a shit about 'an old crossflow' is a real issue.  that's why I say throw some decent springs in and be done with it.  Poor man pays twice and by the time you pay for some apprentice to check 12 springs you could have been well on your way to owning a good set of springs.

Agreed with the rest of your sentiments tho. 

PS - Did you put those stock size pistons to good use?

The time this thread has been going a bank deposit would have cleared in my account for my engine :D

I'll have to sit down one rainy sat/sun and price up the cost to build an engine, then see what will be more cost effective.

You've built and sold a few engines to guys on here yeah? How are they travelling these days?

I'll have to sit down one rainy sat/sun and price up the cost to build an engine, then see what will be more cost effective.

You've built and sold a few engines to guys on here yeah? How are they travelling these days?

Im guessing they are traveling quite fast :)