Ando81

Firm brake pedal explanation

Hi all, as the title suggests my brake pedal is firmer than it used to be. I recently replaced the master cylinder on my xf, in the process I stuffed the thread on the bleeder on a front caliper so had to put a second hand caliper on. The piston moved back fine when I installed the second hand caliper so I didn't think it was siezed but since bleeding them all the best I could it seems that the pedal is firmer than normal. I stabbed the brakes on a dirt road and all wheels locked up evenly. Also, there doesn't seem to be any vacuum leaks anywhere around the booster. Any ideas?

You might have had air in the system all along, so when you went and bled it up it took the sponginess out, which before you took as being normal.

Or do you have to push harder to achieve the same stopping power? If that's the case, you may have booster problems.

It's funny you say that Ando, I have a new booster and master cylinder and was experiencing the same.

All my calipers are recond and new discs/pads. The pedal is quite firm and if you want to stop in a hurry it doesn't give you a confident brake feel. Works, but a lil skitish.

I still have to check for vacuum leaks on the intake manifold from the booster forward. Thats all I can think of, besides a re-bleed on mine.

Booster works like it should, pump up the pedal with ignition off, start car and it should drop. Kinda got me stumped.

Jack.

Booster works like it should, pump up the pedal with ignition off, start car and it should drop.

Jack.

Plus 1 on what jack has said try this you wont always hear the vac leak on the booster

I'm not sure Thom, it's like I'm stopping en extra tonne of weight now though, I was paranoid in the rain today that if I pushed the pedal any harder that I was going to lock a when but it wasn't slowing down very well. If I can't work it out I will get my local mechanic to check it out. Am leaning more towards the partially seized caliper theory though. Thanks for all of the ideas though, really appreciate it!

Is the m/cyl exactly the same as the old one?? The diameter of the piston, inside, changes the force on the pedal as well. I dare say, that after 30 years, you could have had anything on there. Is it for disc/drum or 4 wheel discs? Smaller piston, more pressure at the wheels, larger piston equals harder pressure on the pedal. (25mm and over)

urgh protex... they cant even machine a fucking thread properly.

sick of their shit.

you can buy PBR brand new, use that.

on the flip side, did you grease the pins/slides with copper grease? rebuild the caliper etc? probably a lot of crap behind the piston.

Shit, I was hoping their stuff was good. I only went with protex to support the local bloke, could have got pbr off eBay but the local bloke is battling so I try to use him as much as possible. Didn't pull the caliper down yet but I may have to soon.