Unlucky8Ball

ZL/X-series aircon issues?

Hi,

I'm on my third X-series (an 85 ZL, had a 92 XF ute and an 88 ZL before), and none of them had working aircon.

The rear windows don't work on this ZL and can get stuffy on hot days so am thinking of getting the aircon fixed/re-gassed, but are there any common problems that stop it from working that I need to keep in mind?

Wouldn't want it to get re-gassed only to find there are other problems or it just leaks all away.

Also, any recommended shops in Sydney close to the city?

Cheers

If it hasn't been gassed for ages, then chances are all the seals in the AC pump are hard and dry, meaning all the gas would just leak out.

When it is regassed to keep the system working properly it's good to run them for at least five minutes every week.

Yeah, agreed. If it hasn't been run for a year, it's a $1,000. Reco compressor, new drier, TX valve blah, blah, ........

Cheapest way out, is to find a car with a running (and cold) air con system and swap it over. It's not hard, and everything just bolts in where the old stuff was.  Then, have it regassed.

How come the rear windows don't work? Are the motors working, just not driving?

Cheers mate, will keep an eye out for that. Is it normal for the aircon system in these old cars to need regassing just because of age?

The rear window motors have pretty much rusted together, car was left out in the weather for ages - tried running 12v direct to them and not even a single click.

Yup. As with anything, age is the killer. In a perfect world, they would last forever, but, with the constant heat/cool cycle of an engine bay, not using them for 6 months, etc etc......the oil goes off, seals become hard and brittle, not many of us (me included) give the aircon the respect it deserves. Not much worse than getting in your car on a 40* day, and it's 55*C inside, with no A/C.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Window motors are plentyful at wreckers or evilbay. Not hard to fix.

Thanks, I might take it to an A/C shop to get looked at first.

Does anyone know of any shops in Sydney that use Hychill gas?

Also, do these fittings mean it was converted to R134a at some point?

nuWk2xj.jpg
95nHHVc.jpg

Yeah, those fittings are R134a - but it doesn't mean the system has been properly converted.

To properly convert a system to R134a, you need to flush all the lines and replace the compressor oil from Mineral, to PAG oil.

Not doing it properly, only ends in failure.

With Hychill, they have their own recommended Synthetic Oil.

If an AC system has been at atmospheric conditions for an extended length of time, (ie, out of gas) you will need to start from scratch and flush the lines/replace the oil.

Especially if there's a possibility of PAG oil in the system.

PAG oil turns acidic, with any moisture from exposure to atmospheric conditions.

Sparky Dave-any chance of a topic sharing with us what you know? My XD AC is inop and I'd like to get it going. I'll be doing as much as I can myself. I plan to buy and use Hychill simply because AFAIK I can get it without a license.

Took it to an A/C shop who inspected it and told me there surprisingly weren't any issues with the system, regassed it and I have working aircon now.

Cheers all

If it needed regassing, the refrigerant obviously leaked out somewhere.