Sign in to follow this  
XTREME KARTS XF

Spot lights wont light up

Fella's im in need of some help here,

I mounted up spot lights on the rollbar i bought for my BnS basher and theres no power getting to the lights, theres power to the relay and it clicks, i've tried 2 other relays as well.

I tested the lights before and they work.

Any ideas why theres no power to the spot lights?

Steves prolly on the money. Best thing to do is grab a multimeter and check earth continuity on the earth lead an check if you have 12 volts on the lead. 

Did you wire them up from scratch?

Have they been wired correctly?

Don.t mean to put a damper on your progress Mark. But check the height of them spotties from the ground up cause I am pretty sure if they are above 1200mm from the ground they are illegal in Victoria. Cops love putting defect notices on BNS utes

Im thinking and earth mark, do the lights have good contact for an earth point?

Im guessing the roll bar has a few layers of paint and might not be making a good earth?

They have power but no earth?

Well i fucked around with it and its a shitty earth, i used a jumper lead and it was lite up dull then went out (blew the 10 amp inline fuse while trying to get an earth)

I'll break out the grinder and take some paint off the rollbar and the sqaure tubing

Steves prolly on the money. Best thing to do is grab a multimeter and check earth continuity on the earth lead an check if you have 12 volts on the lead. 

Did you wire them up from scratch?

Have they been wired correctly?

Yes, they are wired up the same way as the ones on the bullbar

Don.t mean to put a damper on your progress Mark. But check the height of them spotties from the ground up cause I am pretty sure if they are above 1200mm from the ground they are illegal in Victoria. Cops love putting defect notices on BNS utes

Cheers mate! I have a couple of mates that have spotties on the rollbar and they never had an issue with the rozzers.

I never earth to the rollbar even if it is steel, better off running all the earths into one lead and mounting it to the body of the ute.

Too many points where the earth can be broken otherwise. Make sure you use a nice large earth wire, otherwise they get too hot and melt.

Jack.

Check the relay if your running two sets of spotties through the same one as well, but should already be about 30A. But yeah fuse as said above, start there.

Power(100watts) divided by Voltage(12V) equals Amperage(8.3333333) thats per set, so as Hendrix said bigger fuse.

Correct that formula if its wrong..... been years since I used them learnin bookss........me just watches the radio......

Jack.

Usually if ya keep blowing fuses, and it doesn't get better with a bigger fuse there will be a short in the wiring, look for an active wire going to ground somewhere it shouldn't be. I pulled that ooops a few weeks ago....... hehe.

Jack.

Better check too that the wire is rated above the fuse. A meltdown wouldn't be a good look.

Fuse as close to the source as possible, preferably at the battery before the relay. If you fuse it further down and get a short before it, big time FUBAR. You can get Hella relays with fuses built in.

I hope you're using a blade type fuse, and not those evil glass ones from the 1920s. They have given me so much grief over the years.