Panko

EOI: door hinge nut & bolt plus bush kits

Hi guys,

Im putting this out there to see what interest i can get.

Im currently getting ready to rebuild the front door hinges in my xf. It has come to light that Rare Spares, have a huge back order on the pin kits, and therefore they are impossible to get at the moment. However, the bushes alone are available from ebay.

I was going to use stainless hex bolts and nylock nuts in replacement for the pins, but unfortunately the pins are an odd size, and no metric or imperial bolts will fit nicely. So this has lead me to post this thread.

At this stage the only alternative is, to have the bolts machined up to custom fit the bushes.

Is anyone interested in a set?

Ill provide the kits in two forms.

1. I provide custom machined nuts and bolts, with washers, no bushes (you source bushes from ebay yourself) or

2. I provide custom machined nuts and bolts, with washers, and bushes that i source from ebay on top of the cost of the bolts.

I am getting at least 3 sets of nuts and bolts only machined up (front doors, rear doors and a spare to sell). So if someone else wants some made up, let me know by the end of the week.

Cheers

Panko

Check with rare spares, don't know if the are only suppling back order or their shipment for stock are in. I had some on order and picked them up last friday

Dale

bayfords are sellings the rares kits, i have a suspicion they have come in at rares now anyway

remind me tomorrow panko and ill check for you

if you get stuck or still want to go ahead your more then welcome to come up to kilmore and use my lathe, i even have both rares and NOS pins as samples

Thanks cav. If you can check in at Rares that would be great. If they happen to be in, ill make a decision then as to whether i go ahead with this nut and bolt conversion or go with the pins. Ill get a price either tomorrow or wednesday and get back to anyone interested then.

The other main reason i thought of using nut and bolts was so it was much easier to remove doors. You can leave the hinges on the door and the car then, and just pull the hinge apart to get the doors off.

If the new pins are like the old ones where they have the splines on them, that might be a bit tight. At least with bolts with a straight shank, should slide straight in. Anyway, food for thought.

true, but then why do they have splines, surely they are there for a reason so you might find you have a different issue using a bolt too

I think the spline is to lock the pin and hinge on the door travel together to prevent the hinge wearing. Many years ago I tried a nut bolt conversion and brass self lube bushes but had to much movement, gave up but thats probably because at the time could by hinges new.

Above quote could be a valid reason as well

Dale