BigCav

Hints & Tips on removing stainless mouldings

Hi guys

any hints and tips on how to remove the stainless moldings around the window frames on the doors? roof gutter etc?

just mucking around now and i seem to start getting somewhere and then the trim starts to bend so i stop in case i damage them

Very carefully.

When I took mine off I pretty much pried it up bit by bit until I could get a whole bit to clip off.

One side (first one removed) ended up damaged, and looks a little odd now, second side came off a lot easier and looks fine.

also once i polish and paint the moulds, should i clear over the polished stainless to or only over the painted parts?

I don't think they're stainless, I could be wrong but I think they're anodized or chromed aluminium. Stainless wouldn't bend like they do. I know for a fact the rear window trim is ali.

Anyway, they're moulded with one edge that's a 'hook' and the other is the 'catch'

To install you place the hook over the top and press the bottom until the tension forces the moulded catch to mount itself.

To remove is the reverse & I found the easiest way was to use a thin wooden drift & hammer & to apply short sharp taps starting from one end until it just pops off. It's like a spring tension due to the shape & dimensions of the mold.

prying it just tends to bend things.

As for painting, it doesn't come with a clear coat, just black coat. I found satin black to be satisfactory.

You could clear coat it if you want but to me it's one thing that over time will discolour or chip off anyway & it's twice as much work.

Just my opinion

20140720_01331_edit_1405777179297.jpg

Not the best quality pics & it doesn't say what it's made of but gives you an idea of how the mold is formed to create the tension mount & where to hit it to get it off

50mm bricky chisel along the edge where it chips over the gutter. Sit edge of the chisel along the trim piece you want off then carefully tap away with a hammer  till it releases. Keep working your way along resisting the temptation to just twist it off once you've got a run going. Take your time and be gentle cause once they are farked theres no bringing them back.

I've done the same with big size flat head screw-driver as Mick has suggested above, take your time some will bend but it's just how they are.