Sign in to follow this  
nickd

XG 4.0L conversion to AU XR6 motor

Hi guys,

Going to tickle your brains. :)

I was just wondering what is involved with a XG 4.0L motor conversion to a AU Tickford 4Lmotor?

I know I would have to change the sump to an XG one but is it a headache to change over with ecu etc?

What's involved so we know.

And is there an issue with Vicroads for the change over in motor or we'll stick to a XG/eb/ed motor.

Cheers

vct or non vct?, you can't fit a tin sump to an au engine without changing the timing cover (will cause issues if you want to run at au loom and ecu) and rear main cap (I wouldn't do that without getting the block line bored, it would also need to be a late El engine that had an au crank and rods as au have a larger main journal on the crank), an xg sway bar will clear an au sump most of the time although some cars you have to space the sway bay down to clear

So you want to go from xg to au? Correct? In what car?

Ford XG Tickford engine with ideas of installing a AU VCT motor.

vct or non vct?, you can't fit a tin sump to an au engine without changing the timing cover (will cause issues if you want to run at au loom and ecu) and rear main cap (I wouldn't do that without getting the block line bored, it would also need to be a late El engine that had an au crank and rods as au have a larger main journal on the crank), an xg sway bar will clear an au sump most of the time although some cars you have to space the sway bay down to clear

So we won't go with the idea of installing a AU VCT motor sound too hard to as we want something simple for change over.

Would a EL XR6 motor fit no worries then into a XG xr6?

You seem to have some knowledge that I do respect and thank.

What we want to do is do an engine change over but looking at every option for a newer motor as we like the AU VCT motor but that's a no no for now.

Been looking at newer motors but looks like a hassle as we were thinking of installing a Barra motor but way expensive for what we want the car to do as a daily for economy and reliability and fun as it requires an engine certificate (maybe one day in the future not now).

Our last choice is to buy an existing Tickford motor from ed or ef and do the change over in the XG.

Thoughts ?

We are doing an el xr6 motor into the xg ute I just did up for the shop ute atm.

Much easier than  the au engine,just change the timing case from the el one to the xg one then everything off the xg engine will fit the el  engine (wiring,manifolds etc),and the el engine will drop straight in.

There are better conversions,but on a car where cost and time is an issue (like our work ute) the el engine is the best bolt straight in option imo,that's why I'm going that way.

any e series engine will,bolt straight in as long as you fit all of your sensors wiring and accessories (xg alternator AC pump brackets are different to sedan) and as ants said an Ef or El engine requires a timing cover Change to use your original accessories (unless you want to change to serpentine belt, but then you have to fit a bbm) the biggest performance gain for cheap would be swapping to an El ecu and loom and running the bbm even on your standard engine

Wait so what I have read so far. 
I can switch my XG EBII engine to an el xr6 is this correct?
Does an the XG manual gear box fit right into an XG auto (I know it may need some mods to make manual gear stick go in) making this work. Or can the 4 speed auto work with this?

your Auto will bolt straight to any e series 4.0, just remember to remove the spigot bearing if it was a manual

Any E-series

Does an the XG manual gear box fit right into an XG auto (I know it may need some mods to make manual gear stick go in) making this work. Or can the 4 speed auto work with this?

You can make this switch. The engines are fundamentally the same design. I have done a number of these conversions and there are many options.

An easy one is using an EF/EL engine - keeping the serpentine belt arrangement but using the log manifold from your XG. This is essentially an XH Falcon set-up. You get the benefits of the simpler, self-tensioning serpentine belt arrangement but you must ditch the clutch fan in favour of EF/EL thermofans. The fans can be controlled with a Davies Craig thermoswitch (from Supercheap ~$50) and a portion of the EL thermofan harness is handy ready made alternative to figuring out the wiring for yourself. This obviates the need to source another ECU (which would normally control the thermofans). You can use your old ECU and mods to the XG engine harness are not required. You will need an XH belt tensioner instead of the EF/EL one the engine comes with as this is designed to suit the log manifold. Use the bolt on accessories that typically come with the engine. You should get an XH airbox to make that end of things look nice. I have this conversion in my EB Falcon and it works a treat and doesn't require a stack of brains or hard work.

I've done a similar conversion - EL engine with XG electricals employing thermofans, BBM and EL ECU but this is a little more involved. Simple mods are required to the engine harness and wires must be added to the ECU harness to get the BBM and thermofans to work off the ECU (not at all difficult really) . The cheapest/easiest option though is as initially outlined.

I haven't done one - but the AU conversion probably requires more work than the E-series conversions. For what gain? The engine is a better design in many respects - but will you really notice the difference? The donks are cheaper than EF/EL ones generally...for some reason and plenty of low -kay ones can still be had...so the cost/benefit thing is something you need to weigh up..

im looking at doing this same conversion in my xg , just because i have a really good low k engine sitting there ill re ring and bearing, i may run my xg head and wade cam but as i just spent 1000 or so getting it reco and cam fitted before summer , i think i may need a custom sway bar or grind the bumps of the front of the sump and mabey i can move the sway bar forward .

after i get geds xe done ill be starting this , i wont be running petrol but will have gas research and a bbm manifold,  i allready have a el computer that has a tickford gas timing curve i found the auto shifts are much nicer with this ecu .

Any E-series

You can make this switch. The engines are fundamentally the same design. I have done a number of these conversions and there are many options.

An easy one is using an EF/EL engine - keeping the serpentine belt arrangement but using the log manifold from your XG. This is essentially an XH Falcon set-up. You get the benefits of the simpler, self-tensioning serpentine belt arrangement but you must ditch the clutch fan in favour of EF/EL thermofans. The fans can be controlled with a Davies Craig thermoswitch (from Supercheap ~$50) and a portion of the EL thermofan harness is handy ready made alternative to figuring out the wiring for yourself. This obviates the need to source another ECU (which would normally control the thermofans). You can use your old ECU and mods to the XG engine harness are not required. You will need an XH belt tensioner instead of the EF/EL one the engine comes with as this is designed to suit the log manifold. Use the bolt on accessories that typically come with the engine. You should get an XH airbox to make that end of things look nice. I have this conversion in my EB Falcon and it works a treat and doesn't require a stack of brains or hard work.

I've done a similar conversion - EL engine with XG electricals employing thermofans, BBM and EL ECU but this is a little more involved. Simple mods are required to the engine harness and wires must be added to the ECU harness to get the BBM and thermofans to work off the ECU (not at all difficult really) . The cheapest/easiest option though is as initially outlined.

I haven't done one - but the AU conversion probably requires more work than the E-series conversions. For what gain? The engine is a better design in many respects - but will you really notice the difference? The donks are cheaper than EF/EL ones generally...for some reason and plenty of low -kay ones can still be had...so the cost/benefit thing is something you need to weigh up..

you also need an xh aircon bracket

im looking at doing this same conversion in my xg , just because i have a really good low k engine sitting there ill re ring and bearing, i may run my xg head and wade cam but as i just spent 1000 or so getting it reco and cam fitted before summer , i think i may need a custom sway bar or grind the bumps of the front of the sump and mabey i can move the sway bar forward .

after i get geds xe done ill be starting this , i wont be running petrol but will have gas research and a bbm manifold,  i allready have a el computer that has a tickford gas timing curve i found the auto shifts are much nicer with this ecu .

I would go with the e series head on an au short motor, will bump up your comp and let you use your cam, although you will have to source an au bellhousing

Little confused here guys, my options are for the best cheapest conversion like Ants said in his post #5.

I've just been told you can run a au VCT engine it will bolt in using your engine mounts (XG), you would also need to change inlet manifold. gearbox is also no problem also will need to change the inlet manifold to the XG one.

We were planning to source a ed el xr motor after reading the first few posts but the au motor sounds more appealing if it can be done.

cheapest/quickest option would be to just swap in an ea-ed engine and put all your sensors and loom on it but if your engines not rooted theirs no real point, for a performance gain it depends what you want out of it

Any E-series

you also need an xh aircon bracket

And xh tensioner

I have done all these swaps and here is what i learned.  You can put the AU in BUT you will need to chop the front of the sump off and reweld it to slope like the tin one does.  OR cut and shut the front of the K frame to fit the Alooy sump in, you can't change sumps as the main journals are cross bolted through the side of the sump.

If you want the best of both worlds you need a EL hybrid block (1998) serial number cast in the side is VR2A, these are essentially an AU lower engine with the crank girdle but without the cross bolted bearing caps.  They also have a lightweight crank.  Then use an EF/L head, better flowing.  The XG manifold and injectors etc and the XH belt tensioner and A/C bracket and run the serp belt.  Leave the XG ECU.  You can put some Bosch blue top injectors in it, a cam regrind and a chip and bingo, good horsepower.  Shouldn't be telling you this cos those blocks are already hard to find!

I run this setup in my race car and it's got heaps of snot! 

So in short an EF/L is the best option for you IMO.

Thanks for all of the above information, very much appreciated.

We rang Vicroads about the AU motor it will need an engineers certificate so this is a heads up for everyone else.

Trying to find a good motor (ed/ef/el xr6 Tickford) every single one we god has high km's or needs a head and impossible to find at a reasonable price as its a budget build.

So ... 3 options -

1- for now is to get a quote for the original bottom end and find a Tickford au series1/el head

2- we will try and do what Stevemack has recommend.

3- Try find a reasonable ed/el xr6 Tickford.