Ando81

Aftermarket cruise control

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has an aftermarket cruise control kit fitted to their falcons. I was considering putting one on my xf. I don't mind fitting it up myself but am wondering if they are good, bad or not worth the time to fit them etc. I'm all ears so fire away

I've got an older "Command Autopilot" unit fitted to my XF. Designed in Australia...made in well....you know where - like everything else! The newer version is here :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290821587855?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It's been a really good unit for close to 20 years. Spare parts are freely available. I've had to replace the cabin mounted switchgear due to wear and tear. The electronic control unit has been utterly reliable and is as per original fitment. I've found it overall to be reliable and it holds speed well. Easy to install. Being a "universal fit" unit, it comes with a bag of stuff that is supposed to enable fitting but I just made custom bits to mount the pneumatic actuator out of the way on the firewall. Another bracket was made to suit the Weber carby and the connection of the actuator to it.

I'd get another one.

I have the same unit in my Falcon ute and as Gav said,I haven't had a problem and been really good and reliable and holds speed well. I travel up to Nathalia area a fair bit from the Geelong area and it is a ankle saver. I am considering putting the same unit into the XE ghia cause of ease of installation for the trips up. 

Going back 20 years or so........(I know, old fart) I fitted one on my Fairlane. 351 Clevo. Big coffee can actuator, and a stalk that mounted on the steering column.

Used ot for years and years, never broke, never failed. Can't remember who made it, China I guess. Ran a couple of wires, mounted 2 magnets on the tailshaft, and Robert's ya Farvers bruvver.  Went across the Nullabor, paid for itself immediately. :D

Good to hear some positive reports on these. Had considered one years ago but didn't know anyone who had tried one.

Using Tapatalk on my SIII because I can!

Glad everyone is happy with it. I have always wanted it on my xf but thought an aftermarket kit might not be as good as factory fitted. I'm hoping to get the kit in the next couple of weeks then it will be straightforward to fit and I'll enjoy driving it a lot more. Short trips don't worry me but when the boys in blue can put you in the book for being 3km over, that's when it worries me.

So I decided to go with the aftermarket kit and just need some tips on mounting the throttle controller. I have seen a lot of them mounted above where the heater pipes go through the firewall on xf. Just wondering if the screws go into the area below the wipers. Plenum chamber is it? If so do I need to take any precautions when fitting the screws into that space. Cheers

As in the same location as the factory ones?

All you need to do is make sure its down low enough to clear the bonnet when shut, and far enough over that it doesn't foul on the wiper arms if they're turned on.

Ok mate, thanks. Yeah I want to mount it where I have seen factory ones mounted, just have to ensure the cable is long enough first. Then worry about bonnet clearance and the wipers.

The only other thing I'd say is careful not to drill into the floor of the plenum - not sure if it would actually cause any I'll effects, but I avoided it when i installed mine.

Just use the studs that poke through the firewall - they hold the heater box onto the passenger side of the firewall - kinda below and to the driver's side of the heater inlet/outlet hoses I mounted an aluminium plate to these and drilled the plate to accept the actuator bracket. There should be enough of them to mount said plate such that it has stability (3 or 4 points of anchorage). No drilling into the car required. If the car wasn't 130 km away...I'd take a photo of what I mean. The actuator cable is plenty long enough and its allows the actautor to sit down and out of the way.

So after a few hours of fit and fiddle I got the cruise working. Used a pit at work to install the speed sensor and did the rest at home. Rigging up the cable pull onto the throttle body was the hardest but I got it sorted in the end. Can't wait for the next road trip to try it out properly. Thanks for all the help along the way lads!

So I've been having some trouble with the electronic control box for the cruise. I've been trying to do a self test on the cruise system but cannot get the led on the controller to flash at all. You are supposed to be able to turn the ignition on and push buttons to test all of the sensors and throttle actuator. All I can do is turn the stalk on and off, where the stalk light works but that's as far as it goes. Have checked all connections but still no joy. Has anyone had a dodgy control box before?