Sign in to follow this  
Ando81

Broken axle trouble

Hey fellas, I broke an axle in my ute today and of course it broke right at the diff centre. Was just wondering if I can tap the broken piece out of the centre from the the opposite side or do I need to take the centre out to fix it. It is Borg Warner 25 spline lsd centre. Cheers for the help

Hey fellas, I broke an axle in my ute today and of course it broke right at the diff centre. Was just wondering if I can tap the broken piece out of the centre from the the opposite side or do I need to take the centre out to fix it. It is Borg Warner 25 spline lsd centre. Cheers for the help

Yeah should be able too, a mate of mine did the same with his old XC coupe

Yeah no good tapping it through. It is a 2 pinion setup and I tried to poke a 6mm piece of rod through between the spider gears. Got it into the centre but I don't think the spider gears are letting me push the broken piece of axle out.

Thanks for making up my mind for me lads. I just pulled the centre out and you're right, filings everywhere. I was debating if I should put my old 25 spline open centre back in with another axle or just look for a 28 spline centre and get axles to suit

Cheers sly, I'm going to patch up this crap thing and hunt for a better diff from an e series like you said. I have got the tailshaft and a brake adapter to do it so if you know of anyone with an e series, I'm keen to talk

So I've been offered an xh longreach lsd with the one tonne springs on it. I know the diff will fit mine but could I put the springs in my xf for better carrying capacity as well. Also what handbrake cable would I need?

So I've been offered an xh longreach lsd with the one tonne springs on it. I know the diff will fit mine but could I put the springs in my xf for better carrying capacity as well. Also what handbrake cable would I need?

XH cable as they still use the "umbrella" handbrake setup, you'll also need a new brake hose made up with a metric T block with an imperial fitting on the end that threads into the hardline on the body.

Once you go LSD...... lol ...... Good score on the diff man, hope it's all sorted soon. I have the XG, if ya chuck an extra leaf spring in that set up, you'll take over a tonne just in the back, without looking like a low rider.  I did it to mine, jump up and down on the towbar, hardly moves.

Jack

Thanks outback jack, I was unsure about how much better load carrying it would have once I put the heavier springs in. I have got it all bolted on the springs so it will be a case of just wheel out the old and wheel in the new on springs and away we go. So the springs don't give a bouncier ride at all?

Nah mate , if anything it's a nice tighter feel, keeps the diff where it's supposed to be... hehe, a good set of gas shocks will finish it off. Have the springs reset , costs about 60-80 bucks a side, if ya suss of the heights aren't even.

I love me Hydratrak LSD diff.... hook up and go.... smokes just for show.....

Jack.

Just curious mate, how much room do you think is between your top of the rear tyre to the mudguard lip of the tub. Wondering if the 1tonne springs will lift it higher or not.

Mines an Outback mate, so it's higher anyway..... The One tonners from memory have an extra leaf. I could fit a politicians head between the top of my rear guard and the tire......... lol .

If the too high mate, find a local spring works, they will drop em down for ya if you like, about $80 a side or so.

Jack.