XFChris

Exhaust system for a mild 250Xflow

I'll be setting up my XF with 250 Xflow for daily use, with broad torque in mind. Engine will stay stock aside from a towing/lpg cam, a bit of headwork and maybe roller rockers.

I have a set of Pacemaker headers, and thinking of going a 2 and a quarter inch piping from there all the way to the tip. I'll run a high flow cat, a hotdog and a straight through oval muffler.

Most people run the muffler in the middle, then the hotdog up the back. What are the advantages/disadvantages if i run the hotdog in the middle and the muffler at the rear?

I'm not fussed about exhaust DB, or if it cackles on downshifting. I'm not a fan of drone, though I have a T5 so I can get the revs low on the freeway.

Is 2.25" piping good for what I have in mind? And does anyone have a exhaust clip of an alloy head 250 Xflow with a tow/lpg cam?

take yourself a look in the xflow exhaust section, there are quite a few vids in there. personally I like the 2.25" with the resonator/hotdog before the muffler, but my xe doesn't need a cat being pre adr86

if your in Adelaide I can sell you a full 2.5 system ready to bolt on for $200, includes tri-y extractors with wb02 bung and 2.5 collector then a full press bent 2.5 system with a single reverse flow muffler, suit xe/xf coil sedan, real good condition and save you some $$$$$

Thanks guys, I'm based in Melbourne.

2.25" is the cheapest option for me currently, as I'm decommissioning a car that has the mufflers I'd need for a 2.25" system. I'm a long way off getting a different camshaft, so I'm happy to settle with a 2.25" for now.

My XF ute has headers, and 2.5" all the way through with just a Lukey muffler, was a bit droney back when I had a 3sp manual, but with my T5 is pretty good, not overly loud but certainly not quiet.

XFChris yes the 2 1/2 inch will work much better thats why everybody is saying it, but if you have access to 2 1/4 for now it will improve over standard. Then when you go your cam change upsize your exhaust then. I remember someone on hear saying that the hotdog before the muffler does provide a nice note. So put the hotdog infront on the 2 1/4 and if you do or dont like it you will know how to setup your 2 1/2inch. win win