Sign in to follow this  
XFGHIA747

ed conversion into xf ghia help!!

hey guy Jake here made the switch from xfalcon, im currently about to do the eb ed conversion into my xf ghia running the eec4 setup

my query im stuck on is what needs to be changed in terms of computer and wiring from the xf eec4 to the ed eec4 i have the hole ed car and im aware about the smartlock and have the chip to fix but not sure in terms of plug and play i was hoping i could just swap a few plugs here and there in the bay and the ed computer to my original loome or does the entire loome need to be change 

please help guys as this is the only thing holding me back from the change over im going to be running the 4sp manual on t5 bell as well a 6 to 12 months low boost but just need to get in and running for now 

thanks guys cheers 

regards Jake :)

ok it works like this ,you can run the whole ed harness bem module computer ignition etc or find an EA series 2 harness without smart lock then fit this harness it will run the ed motor and  auto box?if your using an auto. 

its a straight forward conversion many on here have done this

parts youl need 

XG power steering lines

XG FRONT sway bar 

I used xg engine mount plates 

thanks for the reply!! so in other words the bolt in part is a breeze and the wiring isnt going to be to complex would you recommend using the ea harness or the ed harness if so how does the ed harness going in terms of tapping in the original ghia dash ect. ??

and has it been done running a eb ed engine on the xf eec4 system as the look almost identical in terms of dissy and coil set up its a shame it wasnt just a unplug plug in thing maybe change a few pinouts for the later computer.

dont really know if im on the right track here but it was worth a shot haha.

cheers

XF have eec4, EB ED EF etc have eec5, they are fairly different, as far as swapping components between the two its not really going to work, your better off with

eec5 as it has alot more options and doesnt have an AFM but instead uses MAP and 02 sensors.

as i said you can use an EA  series two harness thiswill work ,dont use the ed harness your just wasting your time ,

ive done this type of engine swaps into xa,xb,xc xd ,xe xf,s and i always use the ea 2 harness

this way you can use your original ignition if you fuck around using the ed harness the ignition will not fit your bigger rounder steering colomn ,and then theres heaps more worries using the ed harness this is one, 

i own a restoration business and do hundreds of conversions

the only thing you need to do is fit the ea2 harness in the xf zl wiring holes through the fire wall ,make the white xf zl wiring plug under the brake booster plug into the ea 2 harness it is really easy to do ,if u have any question please ask

oh wow cheers for that mate would you buy any chance have the wiring diagrams would be much appreciated i have access to both loomes so will get the ea loome out then how much boost can ya push through the standard comp ??

I'd buy the engine bay harness from an EA or EB1 from Pick-a-Part or similar. Costs bugger all. This comes with a bunch of other crap such as the headlight wiring etc. What I have done.....as a start of a future project to use an E-Series ECU on a crossflow is cut back the wiring such that all that remains is the stuff that actually applies the engine management. It's quite easy with a good (factory) wiring diagram. Took me an evening. This can then be grafted onto the existing wiring - replacing the XF ignition system - but keeping the other stuff...such as dash wiring and the like. I understand the harness must also be modified to suit the XF TFI dizzy. Haven't nailed the detail on this but I understand it's no show stopper. The whole idea was to have an EFI crossflow without the AFM. The E-series ECU is also amenable to modification via a J3 chip if needed.

dont cut a thing just unplug it 

i dont think you understand or i didnt explain it right ,get the EA2 only harness <NOT EB> not good it must be EA2 harness! 

THE reason you keep getting confused is because the ED harness is a one piece harness that loops the engine bay left to right ,forget the ED all together because all your using is the motor and box,

il start again

1, EA engine harness which has the computer plug on it and the computer ,dizzy plug temp and oil sender and injection plug and runs up to the top of the passenger side fire wall and over the top of the heater into the cabin and behind the left hand kick panel thats it ,nothing to do with headlight wiring 

2, you leave the stock xf harness were it is ,

3, under your brake booster or in that area there is an 6 or 8 pinned square white plug ,thisplug has the starter wire ,the temp and oil sender wires etc you need to join these up to the EA2 ,engine harness ,

4, none of the ED wiring is of any use to you at all!

5 if your xf had a efi 6 then your ok because the fuel pump will run the 4ltr 

6, if your xf was carby you will need to fit an external hipo fuel pump or fit an efi tank and pump

7, the EA 2 engine harness is a 1 metre long harness  that stands alone from every other part of the wiring on an EA2 

if it was me doing it ,id fit efi tank and pump from an XF,fit the fuel lines from the ED,make a simple link harnes from XF to EA harness and having running in 2 days

thanks for that REV thats sorted it all out now so sounds like a piece of piss really very strait forward then will make things alot easier then trying to get the bloody ed wiring in, will get the ea2 loome then drop donk in and few hours and few beers pissin about should have it running.

mine is efi eec4 has efi tank so thats a bonus 

how much boost can you run on the ed motor in terms of senses and crap like that with out the computer tripping out?

and how well is the flow of the standard xf efi fuel pump when it comes to boost? 5-6psi?? of course i will need a rising rate fuel pressure reg just unsure of stock pump flow.

thanks for the help guys much appreciated :)

a stock map sensor can only handle around 6 psi and (as you stated earlier) you will need a rising rate fuel pressure reg and injectors if you are planning on more than 8psi if the engine is a good runner it should handle 10 psi for a long time but it will eventually do a head gasket, the best solution is to use a (genuine Ford) Au falcon head gasket AND bolts, you could also head to a local wreckers and grab yourself a Au head and cam and rocker gear (Au head on e series short motor lowers compression, e series head on Au short raises compression) to achieve a more boost friendly compression ratio. my biggest question is why are you using a 4 speed?

Thanks for the reply thom. That's some good fruit for thought will take a good look into that au head might save a bit of messing round was reading somewhere on the forum might me you the around 4kg lighter to ??

And the 4 sp is only gonna be temp for a few months till I get a t5 in health hasn't been real good so don't have alot of cash till im back a work in few weeks will get a t5 then and hopefully chase a 3.45 diff to.

a stock map sensor can only handle around 6 psi and (as you stated earlier) you will need a rising rate fuel pressure reg and injectors if you are planning on more than 8psi if the engine is a good runner it should handle 10 psi for a long time but it will eventually do a head gasket, the best solution is to use a (genuine Ford) Au falcon head gasket AND bolts, you could also head to a local wreckers and grab yourself a Au head and cam and rocker gear (Au head on e series short motor lowers compression, e series head on Au short raises compression) to achieve a more boost friendly compression ratio. my biggest question is why are you using a 4 speed?

in terms of the au head as you say thom would i be looking at just a standard au head or vct not sure what ones are interchangeable. thanks

thanks REV how well do the au heads flow in terms of stock?? compared to the ed head, will be building bottom end very soon ( after the Christmas rush ;S )

will be building that to suit good psi in all figures,  but in terms of top end how far are the au heads safe, will be aiming for around 14-16psi when all in tuned but dont want to push disaster buy winding up the boost without knowing the limit. im guessing stock head would be good for 8-10psi ?? will get around to getting a head done but can only take one thing at a time. ( morgage over powers play toys unfortantly :) )