Sign in to follow this  
Ando81

Crossflow running hot

Hi gang, as the title suggests can someone tell me the most obvious place to look to stop my crossy from running warm. It usually sits at halfway on the temp gauge but recently I have noticed it goes more towards 3/4 on the gauge whenever I drive at 105-110km/h. In 20 degree weather around town it only sits on roughly 1/4 on the gauge but as soon as I have constant revs on it up the freeway it seems to creep up. Has had new radiator 12 months ago, it's manual, bog standard motor, running lpg, new thermostat 12 months ago, clutch fan seems to be working. Was thinking it may be the water pump. No sign of any water leaks or loss of coolant. Cheers for any help

Check the radiator hoses and see if they are really soft, they can collapse with high revs and restrict the flow of coolant. Other than that you may have to give the cooling system a good flush out as you symptoms seem to suggest a coolant flow restriction or airflow restriction, as the radiator is new it shouldn't be that but clean the system anyway.

Cheers mate, will do. That reminds me of a mates commodore, he used to put armour all spray on his heater hoses and all his plastics under the bonnet for a showroom look but realised that after a while it had softened the rubber and whenever he gave it big revs hoses would suck in and restrict flow.

Does it have aircon? The condenser may be blocked

Yeah it has air con mate, would compressed air blow the crap out from between the fins to clean the condenser? Or would water be better to flush it through?

Great suggestion thom, I decided to pull the radiator out and flushed water through the fins of the condenser which was full of bugs and crap. The radiator wasn't as bad but still quite dirty also. Changed the water pump and both radiator hoses and it seemed to be cooler at highway speed this afternoon.

Bottom hoses used to run a spring in them, to stop them collapsing.  They still do that??

Also, your ignition timing can make the engine run hot. Stick a timing light on her as well.

Bottom hoses used to run a spring in them, to stop them collapsing. They still do that??

Also, your ignition timing can make the engine run hot. Stick a timing light on her as well.

The old one had a rusted, rooted one in it but the new gates branded one from repco didn't have a spring.

The old one had a rusted, rooted one in it but the new gates branded one from repco didn't have a spring.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the new hoses these days have a woven mesh inside the rubber, for strength. But, if you get P/S fluid or oil on it, it will go soft. When its hot, pop the bonnet, and give it a good rev, you'll see the hose collapse.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the new hoses these days have a woven mesh inside the rubber, for strength. But, if you get P/S fluid or oil on it, it will go soft. When its hot, pop the bonnet, and give it a good rev, you'll see the hose collapse.

Yeah the new one had the woven stuff in it, seems to be ok but I better get onto the leaky old rocker cover gasket just to make sure the new hose doesn't get oil onto it